Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Does anyone know the real story about what happened to the tres Herman's boat that sank at Columbia shallows yesterday with divers on board?"

Saw the thread complete with picture on Cozumel4You Facebook page.

Figured our divers here would know the real scoop

Betty

Don't count on it. Getting facts from Cozumel on incidents like this may never happen.

In the Scuba Mau thread there is an unconfirmed statement that there were 20 people on a boat permitted to carry eleven. Consider even that statement as possibly mis-reported by me.

The boat was the 3 Hermanos taking folks down to Punta Sur from at least the Allegro and Grand. I wasn't on it but was diving with several folks who were and my afternoon dive was late as a result of the other ProDive boat going down to get the folks and gear.

From what I was told from those in the water waiting to get on, the boat was backing to get divers into the boat when water came up over the transom. I gathered the captain tried to go forward but kept taking on water until it sank. I heard it went down in deep water but haven't had any real confirmation (taking on water, the captain should have headed toward shore as much as he could.)

One mate was injured (don't know the extent but didn't sound serious.) A lot of luck involved as the boat had a covered / enclosed forward area including a cabin with head. Apparently a diver on the boat was rescued through the plexiglass windows that f are on the side of the forward (not cabin) area.

My first time here in Cozumel and was kind of surprised how much these boats back down to pick up the divers from the stern. The weather yesterday was rougher than it had been with wind from the north at about 15 kts. Seas were maybe a meter or so, or less, in the area I was diving all day. The seas combined with the backing maneuver sounded like it sunk the boat.

Again, I wasn't there but heard the story from those who were. I didn't see anything to indicate the boat was overloaded either when I was on it or the number of divers taken on the trip.

Scary! Hope everyone is okay!

One mate was injured (don't know the extent but didn't sound serious.) A lot of luck involved as the boat had a covered / enclosed forward area including a cabin with head. Apparently a diver on the boat was rescued through the plexiglass windows that f are on the side of the forward (not cabin) area.
Interesting note. Boats with heads are more dangerous than boats without. That fact should motivate the GF in another recent thread to work on her pee-in-water skills. If you get caught in the head while the boat sinks, not even a snorkeling vest will save you!

Moss, please lay down on the couch and tell me about your earliest memories of potty training. Were you a chronic bed wetter? Did your mother call you a dirty little boy when she found yellow stains on your tighty whities? We will help you get over your obsession/fixation with your wee wee. We are your friends, please open up and let it out, we can help you.

---------- Post added February 14th, 2014 at 02:42 PM ----------

Tourist boat capsized; rescue eleven

COZUMEL, February 13 -. 11 passengers of the vessel "Tres Hermanos" tremendous shock takes when what they wanted, it would be a fun morning at the beach in the south of the island turned out to be a bitter pill when it began to sink this. Service providers who were in the area, able to rescue the passengers.There was no human loss.
holder of the Harbor, Alfonso Rodríguez Loaiza, it reported Thursday afternoon that a distress call was received, referring to the south, in the reef area between Colombia and Palancar, a boat was sinking, so they immediately issued an alert to the Naval Station Search and Rescue (Ensar) in the town, as well as other service providers through the radio.
In this sense, interviewee noted that due to the training of operators of the resort nautical, without hesitation, the captain of the vessel "Starfish" which was a few feet away, approached the area to rescue 11 people, including that two crew (the owner and one sailor) were, making all of these were taken from the healthy sea and sound, emphasizing that the sailor was the only one who allegedly had an injury to one arm, because I was trying to help tourists from the boat that was semi-sunken, arriving minutes after the boat naval.
Questioning the harbor master on the operating condition of the vessel suffered the mishap, said "the boat I was 40 feet length, meaning that seats 20 passengers. The owner named Oscar Alfredo Hernández Espinosa, with all their papers in order, "he quoted.
Likewise, Rodríguez Loaiza said it acted promptly to safeguard the 11 passengers who said, unaware of their nationality, but they had begun their route from the hotel dock Allegro Cozumel, but it would be until Friday when I can give out further details and results of the first investigations to be performed. NAUTICAL Meanwhile, providers of various nautical services dive shops, gave reported that after the report was issued through the radio, came in person to help the rescue, realizing that allegedly the boat was 35 feet, with seating for eight people, but due to the collapse, could be affected reefs in Colombia,. heaven and seven points Palancar Unofficial sources reported that the Secretary of the Navy was observed performing a buoyage with high-tech equipment to prevent the spread of about 50 liters of it resulted presumed fuel could have on the boat, plus the diving team, sources say, were counted about 20 people in the rescue also learned that the vessel "Three Brothers", owned by Hernández Espinosa, was hired by the company Pro Dive, assumed, continuously perform this service hotels and Grand Allegro Cozumel Cozumel Mexico, referring even abroad Markus Fleischmann is hiring who made ​​this walk, but not having the boat and permits to enter the marine park, hired the vessel. A nautical operators say, is not the first time that this person hires several vessels passed without caring if the number of passengers, forcing him to rent the boat to abide by its guidelines but before the denial, walks constantly looking for other owners, but on this issue, the authority who will investigate the operation of this person or company that stains the work that has been performing for the Harbor and the operators themselves, who are increasingly interested in providing security to its users to remain the preferred destination and always sure.

Intense mobilization by the sinking

COZUMEL, February 13 -. Providers of tourist services were assisting in the rescue of the tourists who traveled on the ship "Three Brothers", mentioning the ship completely sank and strong mobilization of various authorities also gave several local boats to support passengers.
feature as above gave the stroke of 10:30 am in the area called "Colombia Netherlands," an adjoining sandy beach known as "Heaven" and the area He issued the distress signal by marine side of the crew "Three Brothers", several boats joined in support of the tourist, coming to the place the authorities of Naval Sector, Reefs of Cozumel and Port Captain Marine Park.
was noted that the collapse was complete but that the ship was not aground near the reef, estimate is about 300 meters from the wall and about 500 meters from the seashore.
They noted that up to obscure it were performing rescue the vessel using buoys to make it float to the surface but failed and this Friday morning activities to try to get her afloat. resume
Among the tourism service is no fear of a release of oil into the sea, although it was said that the Navy would be working to avoid this situation.
They made ​​the point that a vessel of the company Dive with Martin transported to a Sailor "Three Brothers" to Palancar where I expected an ambulance but that his situation was delicate.
in chronic noted that several boats came to the site of the authorities cited above as water services providers, causing a crowd of boats as has rarely been seen. In the area where it sank can not access by road, only by sea, so he could not grasp rescue incidents.

Last edited:
a little insight and understanding into why the harbor master is so quick to close the port...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom