Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other issue is freeboard and wind, you will never catch a boat that the wind is pushing away from you faster than you can swim. Next time you have some wind, just sit there and watch the dive boat moving away from you, you're both in the same current but the sides of a boat act like the sails of a sail boat.

Back in the 80's they called it a Rear Deck Live Boat Pickup.

Last one I did was on the Kona Aggressor when she broke free from a mooring and backed up to pick us up. Not a big deal on a larger dive boat. Can be a big problem on a small boat backing into a following sea. captain should have known better.

but I don't want either backing up to me.

Boats back up toward divers all the time, it's hardly unusual. They aren't going to back up to within inches of you, but if I had a dollar for every time I've been diving and the dive boat used reverse to get closer to the divers when picking them up, I'd have a fists full of dollars.

Let's face some facts, if your boat can't back up in the sea conditions you are in, you're in too small of a boat for the sea conditions you are in.

Let's face some facts, if your boat can't back up in the sea conditions you are in, you're in too small of a boat for the sea conditions you are in.

That's absolutely not true. The issue here is one of seamanship. Know your vessel and the seas. The boats are absolutely fine for those seas but there are other ways to manage a rear pickup without excessive backing. A couple boats used a current line. They came up along side approaching into the wind and threw out the line as they passed slow. They then drew across us putting us in the lee until the stern was passed the divers. The only astern propulsion was enough to stop head way and not put on stern way.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 09:26 PM ----------

I watched some jackanape in December. I guess he ran out of air and came up, but still wanted to be part of the dive. So he is in a blacksuit swimming around watching his group I guess. Occasionally a fin tip might break the water. We had to veer away when we spotted him. I saw a panga screaming at him, but his head was in the water. They actually had to motor up beside him and drag his head out of the water by grabbing his tank..

I was surprised by the number of boats out at some dive sites and wouldn't think of coming up without an SMB above me in Coz.

Even so, there was a turd captain of a snorkel catamaran that parked above us. The DM was leading two DSD divers so he had his SMB up per regulation (per him ... sounded like PADI rules but could have been Mexican or Coz state rules.)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 09:34 PM ----------

It makes sense that the skipper would have everyone move forward to balance the water in the back, but it'd be a bad place to be during an accelerated sinking. I remember a lady dying in Florida that way. Glad they all got out ok. It does sound like operator error.

If the water is enough that you're worried about balancing the boat, you've probably already lost the battle. The cabin area is not that far ahead off the CB/CG that the weight of 12 bodies could have seriously offset 400 gallons of water aft. The safer bet would be to have everyone get on the bow away from the cabin if there is room but that's a narrow path to get there. And it puts folks away from the life vests and their gear which is also life saving equipment.

It's a fine line but human nature is to assume the best and that our actions will save the day. But reality often interferes.

Yes, the same thing happened to a woman in FL a year or two back and in deeper water. Could have happened here if the captain hadn't motored toward shore and sunk in about fifteen/twenty feet.

The safer bet would be to have everyone get on the bow away from the cabin if there is room but that's a narrow path to get there. And it puts folks away from the life vests and their gear which is also life saving equipment.
They should don the vests before going to the bow, but we know how crews hate to get those out.

Because the harbor master would have to inspect and pass judgement on the safety of every boat in Cozumel. The HM does, though, sometimes open the harbor only to boats over 40+' long.

Then tell him to get off his arse & start earning his paycheck & kickbacks....:)

They do every now and then come through Caleta and inspect the crap out of the fleet. Not often I don't think but occasionally.

And DD: There is the story in print.

I didn't think swimming 100 ft. was an Olympian feat, but that could be yet another sad commentary on the skill set of the average diver today.
It's not an Olympian feat, but how long would it take? What would be the point? I can swim 100 feet in full scuba gear with no particular trouble but the boat can cover that distance in a tiny fraction of the time. Moreover, some reputable sources have advised against strenuous physical activity immediately after diving. Even beyond that, it seems to me that when there are a lot of divers in the water and a lot of boats in the area as well, groups of stationary divers are easier for the boats to avoid than a bunch of divers swimming for their respective rides.

It's not a "sad commentary" on anything; it's a question of efficiency and probably a safety concern as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom