• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ana, Jul 19, 2021.

1. johndiver999

johndiver999 Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999

You want me to carry around a toilet bowl ring for something that impossible to happen? LOL.

2. TuckerIdaho

TuckerIdaho Contributor

So you don't know why a toilet bowl ring is valuable to have onboard?

We'll just move on from your comments now.

So this story is really really strange based on the person onboard. Stern to and the boat is sinking underneath them? No high water alarm?

3. Jake 10

Jake 10 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @elgringoperdido thank you for sharing your story with much humor ! Glad everyone is safe.

elgringoperdido likes this.
  4. Jake 10

Jake 10 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @elgringoperdido thank you for sharing your story with humor ! Glad everyone is safe.

RyanT and TuckerIdaho like this.
  5. scuba5150

scuba5150 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I dove with SFDH several years ago before their first accident - that was my first and last trip with them.

Catito likes this.
  6. Soloist

Soloist Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    This may have been linked previously, but I haven’t seen it. Here is the news report from 2012 about the Coral Princess (45 foot catamaran) that sank in Pompano in the inlet due to a rogue wave. This resulted in the death of one of the 21 divers on board.

7. Texasguy

Texasguy Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    So, there are a number of posts vilifying the business owning the boat. Major trend of such posts, the operation is not safe.

This is MY point of view: Well. I am a local and I was diving with them for a long while. I never seen anything unsafe. I am not saying they are perfect, I have certain gripes about rudeness, customer service, prices, and bottom time with them but none of my complaints is safety. I also did a number of tech dives with them that require much more awareness from a captain and most of such tech dives were from the now sunken boat. Yeah, the boat sucked, it smelled, it seemed to have frequent engine issues before covid, but again, I never felt unsafe. And from what I was told, during the covid downtime, they fixed the boat.

So, people raising panic here should be checked if they are qualified to understand what constitutes as unsafe on a scuba charter.

Just chiming in, I was frequently riding with this business and all was great safety-wise. Can a one-off happen? Sure. I don't know what happened in this instance and won't act like I know. But let us not fall into thinking somehow this accident was a coming based on their prior record.

8. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

People were saying the charter op that ran Conception (CA liveaboard boat fire that killed 30-something people) was safe before that incident, too.

9. Texasguy

Texasguy Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    And NASA approved the launch of Columbia. What is your point?

Jayfarmlaw, Biotech Diver and Catito like this.
  10. NothingClever

NothingClever ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

I’ve never felt very confident about the cattlemaran hulls around SF. They just don’t seem like saltwater vessels.