Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Within about 30 seconds of me telling him to get ready I heard a loud voice say "Abandon Ship! Abandon the Fuçking ship now!" I assumed it was the captain but later I found out it was a paying customer who had the wherewithal to say something. I didn't hesitate. I said to my son, "Go now, stay on the surface and swim as far away from this boat as you can." Then I saw one of the most interesting entries I have ever seen. I've done the giant stride, the back roll, a shore entry, and even a ladder climb down, but he just bent over and swam forward off the stern. The way you would if you were sitting on the step of a shallow hotel pool with water up to your waist and then just bent forward and swam out. I followed his lead. Quickly others followed our lead.

Two other divers joined us and we made a group of four on the surface and bobbed a bit and watched the boat. My son and I held each other's BCs in turn and stayed close together. It occurred to me that I had a camera and I unclipped it and started taking photos. We'll see if anything is worth posting. (Long story short: my backpack with my wallet, car keys, mobile phone, cert cards, dive log, pens, pencils, and, of course, all cables that connect electronics to computers and chargers sank to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean so it may be some time before I can let my camera talk to my computer.)

A few minutes later a Broward County Sherrif boat pulls up driven by my hero, Deputy Sherrif Alex Beer, and rescues us. The deputy allowed my son to use his net to rescue things from the water. We managed to find a bunch of gear, including much of our own, floating. (I had taught him some boat etiquette so we both had things well stowed in our bags. And since we both had our mask boxes closed, our bags managed to float. Lucky that.) Of course my backpack, in the "dry" area in the bow, along with my other 100 CF steel faber cylinder, went to the bottom pretty quickly.

Eventually there were many boats in the area. coast guard and county sherrif boats mostly. We did make it on the evening news. Here's one that played that evening.

Over a Dozen People Rescued From Sinking Pompano Beach Boat

(Note the many inaccuracies. For the record, there were 13 people total on that boat. No injuries. And the only people who "saved" us were the United States Coast Guard and the Broward County Sherrif's office.

We had to spend a couple of hours filling out paperwork. Everyone pretty much agreed that some bad decisions were made by the mate, and by the captain as well, who did not radio sooner, or think to cut the line.

Eventually the authorities--the 13 of us were on different boats; some county, and some USCG--brought us back to the marina. The owner of the shop came out to meet us. He was very gracious and apologetic. He told us to go to the restaurant upstairs from the shop and he would buy us "a drink". We all looked at each other with that "you'll buy us more than that" look. I told the bartender "an IPA for me and a rum and coke for him." The bartender looked at me incredulously and said, "how old is he?" I said, "He just turned 21 today." The bartender was somewhat sympathetic and said, "well, just don't get me in trouble." He ended up pounding down three of them before my wife showed up. (Yes, I also got grief from her about that as well.) Suffice it to say that it may be a long time before I get to take him diving again.

I no longer have a cell phone and I think I'll have to stay on the phone with them for a looooong time to get them to get their insurance company to reimburse me for some things, but I'm just glad that no one is hurt. Things can be replaced. People cannot.

Stay safe.
So, there are a number of posts vilifying the business owning the boat. Major trend of such posts, the operation is not safe.

This is MY point of view: Well. I am a local and I was diving with them for a long while. I never seen anything unsafe. I am not saying they are perfect, I have certain gripes about rudeness, customer service, prices, and bottom time with them but none of my complaints is safety. I also did a number of tech dives with them that require much more awareness from a captain and most of such tech dives were from the now sunken boat. Yeah, the boat sucked, it smelled, it seemed to have frequent engine issues before covid, but again, I never felt unsafe. And from what I was told, during the covid downtime, they fixed the boat.

So, people raising panic here should be checked if they are qualified to understand what constitutes as unsafe on a scuba charter.

Just chiming in, I was frequently riding with this business and all was great safety-wise. Can a one-off happen? Sure. I don't know what happened in this instance and won't act like I know. But let us not fall into thinking somehow this accident was a coming based on their prior record.
So, there are a number of posts vilifying the business owning the boat. Major trend of such posts, the operation is not safe.

This is MY point of view: Well. I am a local and I was diving with them for a long while. I never seen anything unsafe. I am not saying they are perfect, I have certain gripes about rudeness, customer service, prices, and bottom time with them but none of my complaints is safety. I also did a number of tech dives with them that require much more awareness from a captain and most of such tech dives were from the now sunken boat. Yeah, the boat sucked, it smelled, it seemed to have frequent engine issues before covid, but again, I never felt unsafe. And from what I was told, during the covid downtime, they fixed the boat.

So, people raising panic here should be checked if they are qualified to understand what constitutes as unsafe on a scuba charter.

Just chiming in, I was frequently riding with this business and all was great safety-wise. Can a one-off happen? Sure. I don't know what happened in this instance and won't act like I know. But let us not fall into thinking somehow this accident was a coming based on their prior record.

Yes and MY point of view is that I dove with them once...and that was one too many. Cpt vaping and handing the wheel over to his girlfriend so he could vape in peace at the back of the boat ( on the way to the dive site), and when I asked her about the dive, (while steering the boat) she said, "I don't know, I am not a Cpt."-- the Cpt "playfully" slamming the throttle to throw his buddy divers off their feet--and we all went flying...stuff like that. Totally unprofessional and unsafe. Never sat out a dive...but sat out the second one on that boat because we were not confident that he would run us over. 2020 dive. Never again--I say that as a qualified (certified) Rescue Diver.

Concur…two thumbs up for the Newton line of purpose built dive boats.

Yep. This outfit has been putting the minimum effort to get their operation going for many years. Their employees present the "don't give a $hit" attitude with pride. They think vacation-tourist-carefree vibe is what the customer wants. About 75% of the people on board and in their store eat it up so they continue.

The reality is what it is. Couple of boat sunk is what made the news, but before the big events happen you have a list of small neglects here and there that eventually add up.
This people couldn't keep the fill station of the shop they took over for more than a couple of months, to me that is indicative.

Things require maintenance and people require training, if I was the insurance company I'd love to see records of either.

oh but there was such reaping current! really? in SE Florida? imagine that.
I wonder if there was traffic in I-95 also.

What kind of crappy training they give their crew? no knife on board to cut the stupid line? No life vest to the passengers when the $hit hits the fan? Don't tell me about vilifying them, they are lucky their customers had more sense than the so called Capt. and crew.

But hey... dive dive dive bro.

oh but there was such reaping current! really? in SE Florida? imagine that.
I wonder if there was traffic in I-95 also.
That's a great autocorrect error.

The sea state looked pretty mild. There had to be a pretty considerable problem develop and it must have been ignored for some period of time if they sat, stern anchored, while people got ready to dive and water began submerging the deck. Even if the captain had no knife in hand, a DM or a passenger surely had a knife available. (one more reason to carry an actual knife while on the water).

Apparently from the first hand account, the captain made no distress call, made no attempt to distribute pfd's and made no attempt to cut the stern free when there obviously was a problem.

Perhaps the initial cause was a structural failure, a maintenance failure etc., but there seemed to have been no hint that a problem was recognized or responded to. Sounds to me like there were issues with the vessel as well as the operation of it. Nothing I'm hearing would lead me to suspect that this was a safe operation.

Thanks for posting this. It's sad how these events trigger people's love for drama.

People make mistakes. The current was ripping at the top, more than I've experienced in the 10 years I've been diving here. I have personally seen Captains Dave, Zollie, and others spring into action when someone was in trouble...jovial attitude put on pause.

It's not right to vilify this op over this incident or your limited experience with them.

I dunno, it's been a few years but I dove with them maybe 20 days, maybe more - a mix between the cats and the small boat and never seen anything that bothered me. Most of those days were with classes and honestly we had a lot of fun with the crew. I've seen some confusion in the morning but nothing worse than any other dive shop........

Certainly things can change over time but I had a great time with them.......

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 86
... I had a great time with them.......
Same here, used them about a dozen times, no issues. Boat sinking isn't that big a deal in SE Florida, it's so crowded with other boats. Bad captains/DM's never last long in Fla. I've been run over twice by captains and slammed into the docks hard enough to knock all the passengers off their seats. Want to have a laugh? Start a poll on how many desert sand drops the captains have blamed on members here cause they can't read bearing and distance on a GPS.

It’s interesting to read from a person who was on the affected vessel that they were rescued by the sheriff or coast guard and then to read news accounts that interviewed multiple other private vessels at the scene that each of those private vessels also rescued many of the passengers. Perhaps the early exposure to water caused unplanned diver spawning? Just don’t feed them after midnight.

I know that I got on the first boat that offered me a lift, and once I was on that boat I saw that people were boarding other government-agency boats. The group of four that I was bobbing with were picked up by a Broward Co. Sherriff's boat. Also, all the boats I saw delivering people to the spot where we filled out the paperwork were either Broward Co. or US Coast Guard. It is possible that a private vessel picked up someone and I did not see it.

I did see that a private fishing vessel netted a good haul of gear and had the decency to drop it off at the spot where we were filling out the county paperwork. I was particularly grateful because a couple of items were mine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom