Dive boot sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geobound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First let me say I did a search on dive boot sizing, and though there was a lot of threads that talked in general terms about dive boots, nothing really answered my question.

I realize to each their own, but how are dive boots typically suppose to fit?

I wear a size 10 shoe normally, so I tried an 11 boot. I can just feel my toenails rubbing up against the edge, and am wondering if 12’s are the way to go?

Keep in mind these were dry, so would they stretch some when wet?

Would the 12’s be too big, and have me slipping and sliding inside of them?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

John

On land, mine fit snug, and my big toes do feel like they’re rubbing up against the front of the bootie, but underwater, they do loosen up and is a perfect fit. My boot is the Aqualung Superzip Ergo. This particular boot fits more narrow than others I’ve tried. If the 12s feel loose on land for you, they likely will be too loose in the water. YMMV

Thanks Dogbowl, that’s exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

I will just stick with the 11’s then.

They may feel tight when they are dry but when they are full of water they can get sloshy and shift on your feet. This is especially important if you are wearing them to walk on rocks etc, but maybe not so much if you are just on the deck of a boat.

I wear a 9.5-10 shoe and, after buying and using a pair of size 11 dive boots, I went down to a size 10 in a 3 or 5mm dive boot. As others have said, my size 10s feel comfortably snug when dry, but loosen up in the water to the point where I don't even feel them. Plus, I wear a pair of lycra socks, not only to avoid any rubbing issues on my toes and instep, but also to make donning and doffing the wetsuit a lot easier. If you wear a size 10 shoe, I think you are going to find the 11s too big in the water, and you will feel like you have a quart of water sloshing around in them after your dive That is exactly what happened to me.

Great feedback folks, thank you.

I was at my LDS after the pool today and I tried on the boots again.

He grabbed a size 10 (rentals) and they fit great, but when I sat down and tried a new pair out of the box they were tight again.

That’s when I realized they were two different brand boots, and two different mm sizes.

The rentals were 3-5 mm’s and were ScubaPro the new ones were 7 mm Aqualungs. Now I see why they fit so differently.

I’m sure I was told that before, but the deer in the headlight syndrome with all the new stuff must have been my problem.

I’m sat in a pair of 11’s with new fins for the night (on loan from the dive shop), to see how they feel. If by Tuesday I don’t like them (and haven’t used them), then they will give me the 12’s and a larger fin to try on.

As a side note, I’m really liking the Aqualung X-Shot fins. LOL....

The choice of colours on fins and mask will be a tough one though. Hahahaha

I tried laying facedown on the bed and kicking........the things you do when you’re alone in a hotel room. Hahahahaha

15C9AFC0-6B9A-4A23-86FC-B27BE97EC7BD.jpeg

I wear the same size as my normal shoe size mares hard bottom

In my case, I wear a size 7 women's shoe and I wear a size 6/XS bootie. They're all in men's sizes, so women generally have to go down.

Back
Top Bottom