Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok everyone. I will provide an honest review of this system. I have an extensive history of traveling to dive destinations and have used multiple configurations over the past 20 years. While I've never lost a bag, I usually need 3 bags to reach my destination: 1 carry on, 1 personal item, and 1 checked.

I recently began planning a trip to Turks and Caicos Islands - a liveaboard. I had multiple flights and became concerned about the potential for being stuck on a liveaboard boat, away from any inhabited island, without my life-support system - the dive gear I like to dive with. I struggled for weeks with the consideration of the divecaddy system vs. using my traditional method of checking my BCD, Wetsuit, fins, etc. Yes, I could rent gear on the boat of my checked back was lost. But my reg system (which I always carry-on) has an Air2 low pressure inflator. If my bag with my BCD were lost en route, I could not use my regs because the Air2 hose does not connect to typical BCD LP inflators. So I would have to rent a complete dive setup - all of which I would be unfamiliar with.

So I took the plunge. Purchased the DiveCaddy.

Bottom Line: it works. Its actually pretty amazing how much crap you can get compressed into the thing. When I arrived, the boat crew was amazed. They wanted to watch me unpack and repack, just to prove that you can really get all that stuff into it. On this trip I traveled with a buddy and put my knife into his checked bag. I checked no other gear. I had everything I needed for a week on the liveaboard packed into the system. The spider bag and turtle bag provided enough space for everything. seriously. amazing.

TSA: piece of cake. Yes they wanted to check my bags. a few pops of the buckles and the thing rolled out before them. rolled it back up and I was off. My buddy spent more time digging through his carry on when inspected.

Heavy: Yes. I'm 5'10" and 200 lb. It was no problem carrying. Once on your back the weight is distributed well enough that its just fine. Totally worth the piece of mind that all my gear is with me.

Quality: extremely high quality and very very well made. Zippers are robust and all stitching seems superb.

Expensive: depends on what your life-support system is worth to you. I think its a good investment. I buy trip insurance, alcohol insurance (I bring a couple bottles of jack on the boat with me!), and now I bought "I will dive with my own SCUBA gear every time" insurance.

Geeky? A little. kinda like the guy who shows up to the basketball court with the headband, wristbands, and kneepads. A little too "scuba joe" for me. So I took a Sharpie and blacked out everything that distinguished the bag as a dive bag. The whole thing is black with no "DiveCaddy logos" and it just looks like an expedition bag. (Sorry DiveCaddy for the lost advertising).

Overall: great product and great idea.

here is what I fit in the system:

Scubapro Knighthawk, size large, with Air2
Scubapro regs, MK25 S600 with a computer transmitter attached to the 1st stage.
Scubapro Twin jet fins in the Fin Caddy
Henderson 3/2 wetsuit, booties, gloves,

Turtle pack: save-a-dive kit, travel documents, Oceanic Datamask plus a backup scubapro mask, extra straps for fins and masks, Canon SD650 in underwater housing, extra batteries, toiletries.

Spiderpack: enough clothes for a week on a liveaboard. seriously. I was just fine. 3 prs shorts, 5 pr underwear, 3 pr socks, jeans, windbreaker, 5 teeshirts, flip-flops.

Personal Item: DSLR backpack with my macbook. This fit tons of small electronics, cords, etc.

So I did this entire trip with no checked bag. (yes, my buddy took my dive knife, but I could do without that if I absolutely had to).

I don't work for DiveCaddy and don't sell the product.

I appreciate efficiency and quality products. This system works.

DrBellezzo, thanks for the write-up. In trying to kill two birds/one stone, what is your impression of the DiveCaddy as a general backpack carry-on and keeping casual work clothes somewhat wrinkle-free for business trips? There are many times when I would not be packing scuba gear nor tropical attire, but would still like to use it. How multi-purpose could it be and still arrive without looking like you need a dry cleaners?

Drbellezzo.. I love the thought of blacking out the scuba/dive caddy logos, as i was just thinking how inconspicuous it would be without them.

Singler, i have taken my Dive Caddy on many non diving trips, and it can pack easily 2 weeks of cloths and shoes. As for the wrinkle free issue, im sure if you fold and pack it properly some stuff wont need pressing, but i just press what i need and done with it.

Just to answer the above questions:

1. There are DiveCaddy logos on the bag - pretty big. No offense to the Divecaddy company - I'd do the same thing - and since I'm not checking the bag in its not like I'm concerned someone would want to steal my stuff - its on my back the whole time! But I just don't like the "I'm a really super cool SCUBA guy" badges. Sharpie took good care of that.

2. As for non-dive travel: I haven't tried it yet. Although I'm not sure I would. The system is really really really well designed to handle dive gear. I'm not sure I'd know what to put in the fin-location or the BCD location without them falling out. I think I would just use a traditional bag for non-diving trips. But that is a personal preference. I have a lot of travel bags. But this is the only one that gets all my stuff to the dive site every time.

Yeah the have pretty big dive caddy logos with the dive flags on each piece of gear and on the shoulder straps. I just spent and hour playing arts and crafts turning my bag into the Ninja that it is meant to be. Sweet!!! Packing for non diving trips is a cinch, just fold, stuff, and compress, haven't had anything fall out on my yet or come close to it.

It is always a fun experience to travel with the Dive Caddy, because 1/2 my friends are still non believers and are like " its not gonna work this time, there gonna make you check it" and then i come strolling in the plane with my entire rig, and all they can say is a$$**** because they have to check most of there gear.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for stopping by our booth at DEMA 09!

Just as clarification, the bag with no logos is our new DestinationBag. (Available Spring 2010) We were giving "sneak peeks" of some of our new products at the show and were demonstrating the DestinationBag along with the DiveCaddy core system.

As FYI for those of you that didn't make it to DEMA, the DestinationBag is a medium size duffel bag made of both 420D nylon and 1680D nylon that can be used as both a "Boat Bag" as well as a protective cover for your DiveCaddy core system should you choose to check it on your return flight home.

The DestinationBag has a sewn in stuff sack that allows you to stuff the entire bag into a very small package and then stow it inside the TurtlePack until needed.

This bag has no logos of any type so as not to attract any attention at baggage claim should you choose to check it.

Judging by the interest at DEMA, the DestinationBag will be another break out hit!

Check our website periodically for updates or send us your email address to be included in future new product notifications.

Best Regards,

Chad Watson

Sales@DiveCaddy.net
DiveCaddy - Home

Back
Top Bottom