Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you (and anyone else) are lucky that you have never had your dive equipment lost or stolen on a flight. I had all of my dive equipment lost by American Airlines about 2 years ago. Since the flight was international, I only received 1500.00 reimbursed to me...even though the bag with me through customs in Miami and then left behind when I changed planes in Atlanta. I wouldn't exactly call that an international flight, but AA does. Not to mention the fact that it took 3 months for them to reimburse me.
Anyway, I just bought a dive caddy and it isn't any bigger than the duffle that I carried onto a flight last week, which fit easily into the overhead bin. I can't wait to use it on my trip to Grand Cayman next month...so much easier than wearing all of my dive gear onto the plane!!

AA is horrible about losing luggage, especially when traveling to the south Caribbean. I help run a family owned dive shop. In 7 years we probably have 40-50 flights there when we combine everyone. Average amount of times luggage is lost is around 30-40%...I always carry my computer and regulator on the plane. That way I don't lose the most expensive pieces of gear.

And what is with fppf? Work for the airlines or what?

I just made a trip to Nassau on Spirit Airlines and had two items to carry on, a backpack ( the personal item) with the camera and essentials ( dive computers, dive mask, bathing suit, tooth brush ) and a Pelican 1510 with wheels for a Sea & Sea housing and dome port and 2 strobes ( the "carry on" ) . The first problem was the gate agent announced that since this was a connecting flight, there would not be room for ANY carry on bags, only what you could put under the your seat! They asked everyone to check their carry on at the gate. I had a quite discussion with the senior gate agent which got me through, and I did find room in the overhead but you need to always be ready to hand over the carry on, especially if you are at the end of the line. If you have to check a bag at the gate, it will usually be checked ALL the way to your destination. Only commuter flights with limited overhead space will give you your bag back at the next stop.

On the other hand, the only problem with TSA Security was when my wife went through security while I parked the SUV, I forgot to tell her about the floatation arms in her carry on and she did not have a good explanation for the inspector!! I had the product description page from the Ultra Light web site with me, next time I will put it with the arms. Fortunately she did get through.

And be sure to register all the expensive stuff with US Customs BEFORE you leave the country. You can do this ahead of time at a local Customs office using Customs Form 4457 which you can get at their web site. Call the office to make sure someone is available before going, at some offices you need to make an appointment.

Sometimes I use a larger hard case that does not look like it has camera equipment in it for my video housing and lights and check it in.

Conclusion, I use the hard case Pelican with two locks and insure the heck out of everything just in case. I still need to check the floatation arms for the strobes with my other dive gear if I am traveling alone. I fly every week for work and the rules change at the gate all the time, on vacation I find the air travel very challenging!

A few weeks ago I was flying from JFK to Nassau with my DiveCaddy. When the gate attendant told me I had to check my bag because it was to large, I disagreed with her and she asked me to fit it into the carry-on size form. It fit with a little push and I carried it onto the plane. Of course while I was being hassled two of my buddies each with their DiveCaddy on their back boarded the plane ahead of me with out any questions. On we went to Nassau with all our gear and no checked luggage. We we're diving that afternoon with Stuart Cove's.

Get your DiveCaddy here at Aquatic Travel Adventures - Equipment Sales
Safe Diving,
Brad

For those of you that have a DiveCaddy, do you take it on the boat with you? I just bought one and as I was loading it up for the first time, it really seems like you would need a good bit of room on the boat to re-load your dive gear when your dives are over. I suppose as long as I stick to 6-pack dive boats I wouldn't be an issue, but what about some of the larger dive boats? Just curious and would like to hear some thoughts.

as a general rule, bags that are appropriate for air travel are usually inappropriate for dive decks and dayboats. Maybe because of the space they take, or because you probably don't want your expensive travel bag wet and salty.

Anything new or any specials available at BTS in a few weeks?

Hello All,

As always, great posts on this thread...

1) Taking the DiveCaddy on dive boats: As REACTIVE stated, the DC needs a little more room to load as it rolls out flat vs. a stuff sack type duffle bag. As avid divers ourselves, we recognized this challenge early on and have been developing a new product that is as innovative as the DC itself.

The new product will launch very soon and is tentatively going to be called the "DestinationBag". It is a multipurpose bag system that integrates perfectly into the existing DC platform. It is designed to solve some of the other issues we all deal with while traveling.

For those of you going to Beneath the Sea, we will have a prototype "in the back". We will give you a sneak peek if identify yourselves as being ScubaBoard posters. (We may also have some of our awesome new MILSPEC products we've been developing for US Special forces and The Secret Service.)

2) Specials @ BTS: We are still working on our promotions for the show, but always have something that will make it worthwhile to come by our booth... Come by early and we'll give you a t-shirt with our brand new design!

As always, feel free to contact us directly if any of you have specific questions!

Best,

Chad Watson
Chad@DiveCaddy.net

Hello All,

As always, great posts on this thread...

1) Taking the DiveCaddy on dive boats: As REACTIVE stated, the DC needs a little more room to load as it rolls out flat vs. a stuff sack type duffle bag. As avid divers ourselves, we recognized this challenge early on and have been developing a new product that is as innovative as the DC itself.

The new product will launch very soon and is tentatively going to be called the "DestinationBag". It is a multipurpose bag system that integrates perfectly into the existing DC platform. It is designed to solve some of the other issues we all deal with while traveling.

For those of you going to Beneath the Sea, we will have a prototype "in the back". We will give you a sneak peek if identify yourselves as being ScubaBoard posters. (We may also have some of our awesome new MILSPEC products we've been developing for US Special forces and The Secret Service.)

2) Specials @ BTS: We are still working on our promotions for the show, but always have something that will make it worthwhile to come by our booth... Come by early and we'll give you a t-shirt with our brand new design!

As always, feel free to contact us directly if any of you have specific questions!

Best,

Chad Watson
Chad@DiveCaddy.net

Chad,
I look forward to seeing you at BTS March 26 to 28. Sure am curious about the "DestinationBag". It sounds like a perfect addition to the DiveCaddy system.

Safe Diving,
Brad

Very interested in seeing how this develops. My DiveCaddy works great on planes, but I would agree that it's cumbersome to use on small boats. I bought a second bag to use for this pupose, but if there's a better/carryon option, I'm all ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom