Dive canister for Garmin InReach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Light Monkey will likely ask you to do is send them everything that you want in the canister and they will size one for you. But call them and tell them what you are looking for.
How much will this cost?

You can get a ACR 2881 or Rescueme Plb1 for $200 during one of their twice a year rebate offers and a HDVSEATEK canister for $100 (the small one), use the expensive gadget you already own for topside communications, and leave the PLB in the canister for the whole drive trip. Redundant perhaps, but if that custom built canister is as much as I guess it may be - this is an option.

How much will this cost?

I don't know personally as I got mine from Wookie, but I can't imagine them making a custom canister in this case. My best guess would they would quote you a price on one of their stock sizes and an undrilled cap. I doubt it would be very expensive though, and more functional than the custom made PLB one, even if a couple bucks more expensive.

In general this is a pretty cool idea. We used to sell an Epirb in a small waterproof cannister, but I like this idea overall.

B

I suggest to just get the PLB1 & used camera case (got one from eBay for $10). I got the set for $200. The whole set is smaller than 500ml water bottle. Stick them in your BCD pocket & good to go for 7 years.

IMG_4371.JPG

It also registered to NOAA
IMG_5579.JPG

I suggest to just get the PLB1 & used camera case (got one from eBay for $10).
There are many "dive camera cases" available on ebay for less than $10, but many of those are only rated to 30-40 meters. I saw one rated to only 10 meters, so shop carefully. Some are rated to 60 meters for little more - deeper than I want to ever go again.

Check the dimensions of your Plb vs dimensions for the original camera. I saw one really old Sealife yellow case; I'd be concerned about that o-ring, but do use a light coating of silicone grease on any o-ring.

There are many "dive camera cases" available on ebay for less than $10, but many of those are only rated to 30-40 meters. I saw one rated to only 10 meters, so shop carefully. Some are rated to 60 meters for little more - deeper than I want to ever go again.

Check the dimensions of your Plb vs dimensions for the original camera. I saw one really old Sealife yellow case; I'd be concerned about that o-ring, but do use a light coating of silicone grease on any o-ring.

Good point!

Mine, as you can see in the picture posted above is good down to 40m (131ft) deep. I tested it myself down to 105 ft so far. Clear case is also nice to have for quick check after the dive to see for leak without opening the case. It's almost a year & 50 dives ago since I used it. All is well (knock on wood).

Case o-ring maintenance is also good to do after each dive trip. When the case is ready for storage, I do the following:
1. Remove the o-ring, clean off the silicon grease from the o-ring & put it in small ziplock bag.
2. Remove the PLB1 from the case.
3. Put the o-ring containing ziplock bag in the case & snapped close the case.
4. Store the whole assembly in a drawer until they are ready to be assembled for the next dive trip.

I do the same with my underwater camera & it still waterproof down to 40m since 2008 to date. :D

Mine, as you can see in the picture posted above is good down to 40m (131ft) deep.
Yeah, I guess that's good enough. I'll dip down to 140-150 feet on rare occasion, but I doubt yours would blow at that depth. A small leak isn't going to hurt a PLB rated to 30 feet alone.

For what it is worth, I have had the Canon casing for a g12 down past its max depth of 40 meters, approx 48 m, the case did not leak, but you only got one photos, the spring on the shutter button was not strong enough to overcome the pressure.

My PLB of choice is an ACR ResQLink+, it is buoyant and water proof to 5m for one hour and fits in. Custom Divers case

scuba.p-
The 2.7" might be too wide, but take a look at a standard under-sink whole-house water filter cartridge. IF the InReach can fit inside, you can buy these online, in varying sizes and in clear material so you can observe if there is any leaking. You can also buy the screw-in tops without any pressure relief buttons (which are "backwards" for our purposes) and simply plug the hose fittings with epoxy.
Net cost, if it will fit, under $20. And typically rated to operate at internal pressures of up to 150psi, so I'd expect them to work to recreational diving limits. Cheap enough to find out.

Back
Top Bottom