Dive Center Horror/Hero Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me???

A shop owner sold a rebreather to a female non-diving customer after a few glasses of wine? That's beyond sneezy. Sounds almost criminal to me. I hope the guy's name was posted publicly as a public service announcement.
It was plastered all over the thread.

@boulderjohn could you link it? I’d love to read it.

During my OW class I had freediving fins and although they said I could use them it might be tight in the pool. Went to pick up my gear for the pool sessions and they had fins and booties waiting for me just Incase. Ended up in a 6’ pool instead of the usual 20’ pool so I used their fins throughout the class. Really helpful shop.

After OW I was pieceing together a kit and I was looking at bp/w at a local shop. It came to $650 had all the gadgets and gizmos one could ask for shoulder pads, release buckles, weight pockets etc. we talked and I expressed my desire for a minimal setup and we discussed other options many of which weren’t at his shop. I ended up buying all my main gear elsewhere on discounts but I get my tank rentals/air fills from this shop.

I don't know where to begin. My dive shop is small, new, and everything I could ask for. Sharky's Scuba in Moore, OK may not be the biggest, or have the largest internet presence, but the service is what other shops should be judged by.

Shane has come through for me time after time. It never fails that there is always some last minute part I need before a trip. He has met me at the shop at the butt crack of dawn so we could pick something up on the way to the airport. He's offered to loan me parts off of his personal rig if they did not have it in stock. Prices are at or within a few dollars of the large mail order shops. Air fills are always full 3000 psi. I needed 17 tanks filled on a last minute basis. I dropped them off at 4:30 and they stayed late so I could pick them up first thing the next morning.

We have only bought one $500 item from them, and countless smaller items and air fills, but they treat us like we have spent thousands. They have only been open for two years, but as long as they are open, they will be my local shop! Definately a hero shop!

Jay

I had a pretty terrible experience with Rainbow Reef in 2016 and refuse to every do business or recommend that shop ever again. I know they apparently have their fans and apologists on here but in my opinion there are far better organized shops in Key Largo to give your business.

Long story, short: My fiancee's family booked some diving with Rainbow Reef. They dive maybe once a year or every couple years and simply booked based on Yelp/TripAdvisor results I decided to join them in the Florida Keys for a few days of diving and inquired to Rainbow Reef about potential rebreather support. I was told it would be no problem to rent 3L tanks and bailout tanks and was assured they were rebreather friendly; their website even stated it. I wasn't planning any technical dives or long duration dives but decided to bring my rebreather down to the Keys just based on their email saying it wouldn't be an issue.

When I tried renting rebreather tanks or bailout tanks they told me they did not do any of that sort of thing there. I even had emails from them confirming they could in-fact rent me tanks. I tried speaking to multiple people, made multiple phone calls and was promised return calls which never occurred. Nobody in the shop was on the same page about ANYTHING and apparently the two people that could help me were on vacation that week or not available. I was literally staring at the tanks on the shelf that I needed. I know this is hard to gauge from what I am writing here but I was extremely patient, understanding and friendly while this entire conversation was occurring.

In the end another local shop took pity on me and let rent a set of CCR tanks and a bailout cylinder from them. I actually ended up doing additional dives with them. My dives with Rainbow Reef were perfectly adequate, nothing special. Good boat briefing and safety orientation from what I recall but your typical cattle boat operation. The other huge negative was before I even sat down on a bench or bungeed in my gear the overzealous divemaster/deckhand told me they they only allow strict NDL diving and that I must have a buddy at all times and ascend with them. I was planning on diving with my fiancee anyway so this wasn't an issue but hey at least let me sit down or introduce yourself before admonishing me for something I wasn't planning on doing anyway.

Perhaps they've got their act together now but it doesn't matter. First impressions mean a lot to me. They've lost me as a customer. I send all my open water students and group trips elsewhere in the Keys. I know I'm just a small fish when 95% of their revenue is IDC candidates and brand new vacation dives.

Macado,

I had a similar experience with Quiescence. A friend and I were cave diving in north Florida and he confessed he had never been diving on a reef. I called Quiescence to book a couple days of reef diving because I had a good relationship with the shop years before when I lived and worked in the Keys. They asked if we needed gear. I explained we were cave divers and were coming down with doubles so my buddy could see some pretty fish. When we arrived the weather was dodgy. They told us they'd go out, but conditions might be poor. I asked if I could talk to the boat captain who was at the dock behind the store about what might be some of our options for finding something palatable given wave heights, wind direction, etc. They wouldn't let us talk to him. They said if we paid, we'd go out. We decided to go. They asked if we had computers. I said we had UWATEC gauges/timers. They told us we would have to rent computers because they didn't allow table diving. I said that was perfect because we dove ratio deco anyway. They asked what that was and I explained it. They got pissed and made us rent computers. We rented computers and went to the car to get our tanks. They saw the doubles and lost it. We were definitely not allowed on board with doubles. I asked why. They said we would stay down too long. I pointed to my left wrist and said that I have a dive watch. Tell me what time you want us back on board. They said a watch was no guarantee we'd be on time, but having a single tank would ensure we'd be back on board when they wanted. The fact that we arrived on time for check-in escaped them. We told them we're leaving. I've never been back and tell every diver heading to the Keys to avoid them.

I remembered another story that happened although it's not exactly a horror story. The dive shop in question changed ownership a few years back and has my business now but the original owner was a bit stubborn.

I'm a PSI-PCI Cylinder Inspector. I think I have been for about 9 years? Just to give some credibility that I'm not brand new to inspecting tanks. I also work for another dive shop where I can freely get their own VIP stickers but I prefer the PSI-PCI ones since they have my inspector number on it.

Another local shop in question initially refused to fill my cylinders. I stopped by because I was in the area and needed something they sold. He went on a whole tangent about how he has no idea if I bought these stickers online, etc, etc. and I might not have the proper tools or knowledge to do the inspection. Not supporting local dive shops, etc.

I told him that's fine I understand it's his policy and I'd take my tanks elsewhere. I wasn't arguing about, I just told him I understand. His shop, his rules. He did end up filling them for me but kept making a big deal about how this is the ONE exception he would make for me. Lecturing me the entire time about Internet VIP stickers and how he usually only fills local shop stickers. I'm pretty sure another shop employee knew me so they told him I worked for the other shop which is why he filled my tanks.

Here's something even funnier. I swear to god I actually saw this. An entire row of steel tanks with that particular's shop's visual stickers had punched out "Eddy Current testing." Now I know this particular shop doesn't have an eddy current testing machine and most of you probably know that you don't perform eddy current testing on steel tanks anyway!

I now carry VIP stickers in my "save-a-dive" kit from multiple local dive shops. :)

@Tug will probably also recall that another local dive shop that went out of business used to exclusively use PCI-PSI stickers in their shop. I often wondered what would happen if they went into the other local shop with a PCI-PSI sticker from the other dive shop but I never asked. :)

I had a similar experience with Quiescence.

Wow that sounds worse than my story. I've always heard the Keys was pretty backwards for technical diving. I've found that mostly to be true but it seems to be improving in some regards. What year did this happen if you don't mind me asking? I've never used Quiescence but based on that story I don't think I would... :)

I'm a PSI-PCI Cylinder Inspector.
Another local shop in question initially refused to fill my cylinders. I stopped by because I was in the area and needed something they sold. He went on a whole tangent about how he has no idea if I bought these stickers online, etc, etc. and I might not have the proper tools or knowledge to do the inspection. Not supporting local dive shops, etc.
I, too, am a PSI-PCI inspector. Because I let my certification lapse number of years ago, I had to sit through the entire training program a second time. I was on time with my renewal last time, so I only had to go through the online program and exam to be recertified. I can attest to the common observation that about 40% of the time spent in PSI-PCI training involves repeated and repeated and repeated stories attesting to the fact that PSI-PCI is the absolute greatest tank inspection program in the world, with the entire scuba industry bowing in recognition of its superiority. That time (and the other 40% of the time spent looking at pictures of exploded tanks) still leaves enough time to learn how to inspect tanks.

A couple of years ago I took my newly inspected tanks into a dive shop in Florida for fills. The man doing the filling looked at the sticker and asked me who had inspected the tanks. I said the inspector number on the tank was mine. He had never heard of PSI-PCI, and he ws not sure he could accept it. If it had been done by a shop, any shop, he would be sure, but.... Well, he finally agreed to fill the tanks.

The local dive shop for which I last worked had its own inspection stickers, and he would have happily accepted those. That dive shop did not have a single person on staff who had ever had any formal training in tank inspection. They did not own any of the tools required for tank inspection. But they had the local shop stickers, and that was all he needed to see.

One of the most famous tank explosions happened with an oxygen decompression bottle. The owner, who nearly died in the blast, had taken the tank to a local shop for oxygen cleaning and inspection. The analysis of the remains of the tank showed the shop had used silicone to lubricate the threads, which is a clear no-no for oxygen service. The investigation showed that the man who did the oxygen cleaning and tank inspection had never had any training whatsoever in either skill.

But he had a local sticker he could slap on that tank when he was done, and that is all that really matters.

Wow that sounds worse than my story. I've always heard the Keys was pretty backwards for technical diving. I've found that mostly to be true but it seems to be improving in some regards. What year did this happen if you don't mind me asking? I've never used Quiescence but based on that story I don't think I would... :)
Doesn't matter what year it was, because the answer is the same today. They make no bones about it, if it looks like technical diving, or it smells like technical diving, or you even know any technical divers, you aren't welcome there.

Rob has his reasons, and he makes a living doing what he does and is happy to recommend that you go to Horizon or Rainbow Reef or Conch Republic. There is no reason to go where we aren't wanted....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom