Dive cert. vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_t_sloan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm looking for ideas for a warm water destination for open water dive certification. My wife is not interested in diving so needs access to a good beach location. I was thinking of the Florida Keys but they're not known for having the greatest beaches.
We are working with a limited budget so cost is a factor.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks for the help

Pompano Beach area in Florida was great for my teen daughter and my AOW, but lots of people were doing OW dives, after practicing in hotel pool. Hotel on the canal was convenient to docks, but for your wife, perhaps a hotel on the beach, which is accross the street from hotels on canal.

Pompano Beach area in Florida was great for my teen daughter and my AOW, but lots of people were doing OW dives, after practicing in hotel pool. Hotel on the canal was convenient to docks, but for your wife, perhaps a hotel on the beach, which is accross the street from hotels on canal.
Thanks! We went to Fl for the first time last year and stayed on the gulf side. Loved it

Turks & Caicos. While teaching an OW instructor course there we had plenty of sharks, turtles, and other marine life around us nearly every dive from shore. Gorgeous beaches, shopping, nightlife, and touristy stuff as well as seclusion. Some of the best beaches in the Caribbean IMO. They do have lots of the state bird of Florida there though. You'll need the mosquito repellent.

Last edited:
Turks & Caicos. While teaching an OW instructor course there we had plenty of sharks, turtles, and other marine life around us nearly every dive from shore. Gorgeous beaches, shopping, nightlife, and touristy stuff as well as seclusion. Some of the best beaches in the Caribbean IMO. They do have lots of the state bird of Florida there though. You'll need the mosquito repellent.
Thanks, I will look into it. Had a friend that travels there every spring

I'm looking for ideas for a warm water destination for open water dive certification. My wife is not interested in diving so needs access to a good beach location. I was thinking of the Florida Keys but they're not known for having the greatest beaches.
We are working with a limited budget so cost is a factor.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks for the help
Given your location in WA (I assume it is WA state and not DC) and budget, you may want to consider one of the Hawaiian Islands. I also agree that the east coast of Florida is a quality option (Pompano, West Palm, Boynton Beach). Depending on flight costs, you could consider Grand Cayman and the 7 mile beach area. Turks and Caicos will not be a budget option for you in terms of flight or anything else. Not that Grand Cayman is cheap, but it can be done much cheaper than T&C and you have better flight options from Seattle or Portland (again making assumptions on your departure city).

Given your location in WA (I assume it is WA state and not DC) and budget, you may want to consider one of the Hawaiian Islands. I also agree that the east coast of Florida is a quality option (Pompano, West Palm, Boynton Beach). Depending on flight costs, you could consider Grand Cayman and the 7 mile beach area. Turks and Caicos will not be a budget option for you in terms of flight or anything else. Not that Grand Cayman is cheap, but it can be done much cheaper than T&C and you have better flight options from Seattle or Portland (again making assumptions on your departure city).
Yes WA state. That is good info; thank you

Welcome!

Bahamas. It'll be more budget friendly if you find yourself at an all-inclusive and developed area but the beaches are good for a non-diver to lounge around at all day, even at the resort. It's a short flight from you and/or you could even ferry it over from Florida.

Scratch that I just noticed you are in Washington, not Florida. I would still recommend Bahamas or Mexico. Hawaii can get expensive with lodging and food.

Welcome!

Bahamas. It'll be more budget friendly if you find yourself at an all-inclusive and developed area but the beaches are good for a non-diver to lounge around at all day, even at the resort. It's a short flight from you and/or you could even ferry it over from Florida.

Scratch that I just noticed you are in Washington, not Florida. I would still recommend Bahamas or Mexico. Hawaii can get expensive with lodging and food.
Budget friendly is important when you calculate flights lodging food and dive lessons. Hoping to keep the budget around 5000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom