Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Shearwater, but honestly it's overkill for a new diver. With 0-24 dives in your profile, there is no telling what your diving future holds.

Without a doubt you can't go wrong with any of the Shearwaters. They are easy to use, and you will not outgrow them. They are usually pretty expensive, though. They also tend to hold their value, so if the price doesn't scare you, by all means pick one up. If you later find that diving is not for you, you can probably sell it for close to what you paid.

Honestly, for a new diver, I can't think of a dive computer that won't serve the user well. It generally comes down to the algorithm, user interface, and features.

There are lots of algorithms out there. Many are proprietary, so it's not easy to find out how it is going to react. Most of the Tech capable/oriented computers are running Buhlmann. This is good because it's well understood, and open. Also usually offers user customizable safety settings. But, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the algorithms for a new diver. Their role is to inform the diver about tissue loading, NDLs, ascent rate, etc. and to safely get a diver to the surface in the event that they miss all the warnings and exceed a limit.

User interface is somewhat open to what the user is comfortable with. But there does seem to be one constant. Button count is a pretty good indicator. One button computers are probably the hardest. They tend to have a complicated short press/long press interface. Two or more is better. My old computer had 3, so I could go back in menus. My SW Perdix only has two, but it's easier to navigate overall. Just can't go backward, so if you skip by a setting, you've got to keep going forward to get back to it.

Features are where it gets costly. Air integration adds cost. Especially wireless AI. Logging and computer connectivity are a couple of things I wish I had long ago, as once I had a computer with this capability, I became a lot more dilligent about logging dives. Bluetooth connectivity is best here as you can probably log at the dive site using a smart phone, and there is no proprietary (expensive) cable to get lost.

If I were just getting started diving today, I'd probably pick up the Deep 6 Excursion. It's relatively inexpensive, runs Buhlmann with an added safety factor, Bluetooth connectivity, and rechargeable battery.
Thank you for taking the time in writing the detailed information. I learned a lot from your post.

Just go with a Shearwater cuz all the Kool Kids have 'em...
(I have 2 Shearwater computers so I am double-kool)

Be a hipster get an OSTC or Divesoft

Or get a Suunto and be a casual. :D

Hi @SamDM

There are many acceptable starter computers that won't cost you an arm and a leg. You can make a liberal deco algorithm more conservative, but you cannot make a conservative computer more liberal.

If I were looking for a 1st computer, I would seriously consider the Deep 6 Excursion, the Atmos Mission One, and perhaps the Oceanic Geo4. The Excursion goes for $275 and runs Buhlmann with 3 standard presets. The Mission One adds color screen, custom GFs, an NDL planner, and working apps for $330 (Piranha). The Geo 4 at $399 runs both DSAT, liberal, approximately GF high 95, and PZ+, a Bulhmann variant, approximately GF high 85.

In my personal experience, had I started with Shearwater I would have saved a load of $$$ in my dive journey.

Started out with a Suunto Zoop, thinking an inexpensive computer was a smart play. The interface was so confusing and difficult it never made it into the water.

That caused me to switch to the complete other end of the spectrum, opting for the most expensive computer I could find at my assorted LDS's. Which led me to the Atomic Cobalt 2. And a few months later after my wife got into diving, one for her as well.

While that one actually served me for a good 100 dives or so, but it was big, bulky, and being a console, always at risk of getting beat up on packed dive boats.

As my diving progressed, I wanted something more streamlined, as luck would have it the Shearwater Perdix AI was released and gave me those options. So I picked up one and immediately loved it. Replacable alkaline battery, bluetooth connectivity to upload dives to my iphone, and I made wrist straps out of surgical tube so I could easilly take it off and clip it onto a D-ring while on surface interval or donning/doffing gear.

About a year later I wanted to start doing some technical diving so I picked up another with an alternate transmitter. My wife had been eyeing my Perdix computers and when the Shearwater Teric came out she wanted that for her personal setup.

Now I have a flexible solution that I can use on rec dives (single Perdix), tec dives (both Perdix), dual sidemount diving (transmitters on different frequencies), liveaboards (keep the second Perdix clipped onto my wing in case my primary craps out), and a backup computer for when my wife and I are on scuba vacations.

The downside is that I had $2500 in old dive computers that was dificult to resell as they are not very popular. One Colbat 2 crapped out on me and I gave the other away to a close friend that wanted to get into diving.

One last note: Shearwater's service is amazing. I've had one transmitter recall and one just died and it was completely outside the warranty. In both instances they sent me out a free replacements and just trusted me to send the other ones back.

Sorry for the long post. You will find a lot of Shearwater fanbois around here. This place is full of opinions, and no one here agrees on much at all.... but the Shearwater positivity usually has little dissenting opinions. They've earned the community's trust, and are not part of the mega corporate conglomerates that most brand today are part of.

Good luck!

what are the conditions where you dive? Is it clear water or lots of sediment in the water? Do you wear glasses or contacts? Do you plan to use the computer as a daily wear watch also?

As others have stated if you are staying recreational then just about anything will work. One item I'd pay attention to is some form of wireless log/data transmission, preferably bluetooth. My old Suunto had this proprietary cable and it was a pain to download my dives into my dive log.

In my personal experience, had I started with Shearwater I would have saved a load of $$$ in my dive journey.
Yeah, there is some merit to that. There is a bit of initial sticker shock, when compared to a basic DC, but when comparing to an AI computer with Bluetooth, color screen, etc. the price makes sense.

I dove for years without a computer. Part of that is due to my initial training. At that time, computers were discussed, but the general feeling was that computers (and Nitrox) were for tech divers. Rec divers used air and tables. When I finally did get a computer, I opted for a console AI Oceanic Pro Plus 2. At the time, I didn't see the need to get the data transfer cable, so never transferred those dives. This computer lasted a while, but finally died. Traded it in for an Oceanic VT4 with wireless AI. This one came with the data cable. I started to log dives electronically, and really It's still in use, as I handed it down to my daughter when I got my Perdix AI.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend my path through computers. I realized something with my first computer. My ascents prior had been too fast. Seeing it in real-time really got me to slow down, and got me to do the safety stops.

As my diving progressed, I wanted something more streamlined, as luck would have it the Shearwater Perdix AI was released and gave me those options. So I picked up one and immediately loved it. Replacable alkaline battery, bluetooth connectivity to upload dives to my iphone, and I made wrist straps out of surgical tube so I could easilly take it off and clip it onto a D-ring while on surface interval or donning/doffing gear.
This was definitely a big reason for going with the Perdix. Battery availability is huge. I have a pretty significant distrust of batteries, so always have spares with me. If I happen to forget the spare, just about any store anywhere will have a AA I can use, though I don't use AA alkalines in general due to their tendency to leak. I opted to use the rechargeable Li-ion 4.7V, which is one of the many options that will work in the Perdix.

Personally, I bought a Garmin Descent Mk1 because it was two things I wanted in one: a good recreational dive computer, and a great fitness smartwatch. Somehow it managed to cost more than if I bought those two things separately, though! The interface is very well designed, though, especially compared to the cheaper Suunto Zoop/calculator style computers, and the lack of AI is no problem for a diver who rents most of his gear on vacation.

There are a lot of computers and each fill a niche like that. I wouldn't recommend the Garmin Descent Mk1 for someone that wants AI, for example. It really depends on how you plan on diving!

As far as one that might match your preferences, the Deep 6 Excursion is a really classy computer for the kind of depth/complexity you're looking for and pretty damn cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom