Dive Computer Alarms: should we even have them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, will take your word for it that you can have a significant change in depth and not be aware of it. Although the fact that you describe these downcurrents as a "heart thumping event" suggests to me that you don't need your dive computer to beep to tell you that it's happening.

For sure you know whats happening, there are infrequent times when you've been tumbled and surrounded by a cloud of bubbles (sometimes they don't go straight up) when the alarm really does let you know what's happening.

Extreme currents can be a sensory overload, the more experience you have the more bandwidth you have to manage the situation but an alarm can be a useful conformation, OR as with me a number of years ago on a dive (in hindsight) well above my experience and abilities at teh time, an up current caused me to freeze like a rabbit in the headlights - it was the incessant bleeping which prodded me into action.

Occasionally I hear the alarms of other divers in our group ahead of me (no one else dives our sites) their alarms instinctively causes me to prepare and dump some air because there's an upwelling ahead (if I'm there first they get the same warning)

For more normal divers on vacation making a 30m dive on air, and being unknowingly narced that alarm might drill into their conscious that they need to take action.

That said. Mostly I'm on a DPV, and in current, on a pinnacle you follow the topography to "punch through" which means you'll be going vertically up a ridge wall, inverting over the top and back down again. At this point my computer is being annoying and I often tell it to shut up through my reg. Do I need my alarms on 99% of my dive? No. But its that 1% where they're useful

With regards to teaching, on AoW & above courses I ensure my student wear a computer with alarms on. I expect them to make the dive, carry out a free ascent (even if it's alongside teh anchor line - no touching) and launch a dsmb at or before the stop and hold a stop all without triggering the alarm.

That test bursts a few ego bubbles too, I wonder how many of the naysayers on here can do the same?

If I were able to influence a computer design

I'd like (on a colour screen computer) visual alarms to be more refined - perhaps orange or red flashing (warning & take action) around the relevant data (for instance depth in conjunction with PO2 etc

I've like audio alarms to be more customisable - which ones you want, and even a choice of tones - and their trigger limits For example my Eon triggers low gas at 50bar whereas 35bar + 500psi, and annoyingly it's not depth related - I've had it bitchin gin 2m of water - where I could stand almost get fresh air
Similarly I'd turn off 10m/min warning but trigger at 18m/min - I'm sure there would be more variables

Having never used haptics I can't comment on those

Reactions: OTF
For more normal divers on vacation making a 30m dive on air, and being unknowingly narced that alarm might drill into their conscious that they need to take action.

I've never seen a diver at 30m on air or nitrox get narced. No alarms for being narced anyways. Not saying it cannot happen just never seen it myself at 30m or less.

I've never seen a diver at 30m on air or nitrox get narced. No alarms for being narced anyways. Not saying it cannot happen just never seen it myself at 30m or less.
It's not an alarm to tell you that you're narc'd its there to remind you to take action when you're under the influence and not giving the dive your full attention

While you're not going to be "off your face" at 30m, you will have some effects (more or less dependent upon the person)

Extreme currents can be a sensory overload, the more experience you have the more bandwidth you have to manage the situation but an alarm can be a useful conformation, OR as with me a number of years ago on a dive (in hindsight) well above my experience and abilities at teh time, an up current caused me to freeze like a rabbit in the headlights - it was the incessant bleeping which prodded me into action.

That's interesting. Thanks! Good information. I agree, that is a reasonable argument for the utility of DC alarms.

It's not an alarm to tell you that you're narc'd its there to remind you to take action when you're under the influence and not giving the dive your full attention

While you're not going to be "off your face" at 30m, you will have some effects (more or less dependent upon the person)

I think Blackcrusader has a pretty fair point about this. I don't really see how a beeping alarm at 30m benefits a diver at all or makes them a safer or better diver. 30m is really not that deep and I think it is very unlikely someone is that narked at 30m. I do 55m air dives all the time (heck the French do 60m air dives recreationally) and I never had a problem and so do tons of other people. Yes some experience narcosis at these depths but a beeping alarm is not going to help at all for narcosis. Plus at that level of diving most of us are using multi gas decompression computers and these don't even come with beeping or vibrating alarms (thankfully)

Like I stated in an earlier post I'm not anti alarm I do like some alarms features like stack time warning, high CNS, low batter waring, HUD warning I just don't think need an alarms for everything let alone ones that beeps at you.

Hi @OTF

Your camera should be attached to you :)

OK, I guess it's off topic, but since it has been mentioned twice now, here's my invention. Two point connection, lets the camera be used freely on the tether, but if you suddenly need your hands free you can clip it off close and secure to the crotch D-ring (or to a shoulder D-ring).

Like I stated in an earlier post I'm not anti alarm I do like some alarms features like stack time warning, high CNS, low batter waring, HUD warning I just don't think need an alarms for everything let alone ones that beeps at you.

I think that for this thread to be helpful, we need to differentiate between alarms for things that can change rapidly with absolutely no way other than instrumentation for the diver to be aware of them (i.e. loop PO2 on a CCR) and alarms for things that change in predictable manners, that can be monitored in other ways, and where situational awareness is the problem (e.g. dive time, stack time, NDLs, gas reserves). I suppose that there are situations were depth is not in the second category, as pointed out by @Diving Dubai above, but for most divers, it probably is.

I've like audio alarms to be more customisable - which ones you want, and even a choice of tones - and their trigger limits For example my Eon triggers low gas at 50bar whereas 35bar + 500psi, and annoyingly it's not depth related - I've had it bitchin gin 2m of water - where I could stand almost get fresh air
Similarly I'd turn off 10m/min warning but trigger at 18m/min - I'm sure there would be more variables

This nailed it. We should be able to customize alarms so they only go off when there really is a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom