Dive Computer for Visually Impaired diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDenning

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions from other VI divers. So I hope it's OK to post this here.

I can't focus on anything close, like close enough for me to see is too close for me to see. That's been a problem since I had a cornea transplant. So I either have to have big lettering, or use a magnifier.

Can any of you visually impaired divers recommend a computer that is larger type, easier to see? Good contrast, not dark gray on green/gray background.

I used to have an Orca Phoenix, before that I had the Orca Edge. That dates me. But what I loved about the Phoenix was how easy it was to read.

I'd like an air integrated, don't care if it's on a hose, or hoseless. And Nitrox.

We don't need to go into great detail here about features. But more pros and cons for the visually impaired diver.

I have tunnel vision out of one eye, really bad floaters, about 20/200 vision and can't focus close. Right now I read my analog gauges by the direction of the hand. I'm actually rather good at it. :) I'm using my wife's wrist computer right now because I don't want to spend the money on one until I find what really works. I can just sort of see the depth if the light is just right out of the corner of my eye.

I'm not a VI diver, but thought I'd throw in an option to consider.

TUSA makes a computer with a larger display and vibrating alert function.

They designed it knowing the baby boomer generation will be needing larger text in their displays.

Hope this helps...

I actually had looked at 'online only' the Oceanic. The pictures of it are quite impressive. The contrast really looks great.

I like the idea of vibrate, obviously only for a wrist mount:) But that or an audible alarm is a good idea.

Thanks all.

Another consideration is your dive profile needs. The Oceanic has huge numbers and is Air Intergrated. But it also comes with what is considered to be a liberal/agressive dive profile.

I think either that or the Wisdom I mentioned are great for those of us who need a big display. My Wisdom is pretty new, and I've only dived it a few times but so far I am very impressed with it.

I think the ultimate computer for anybody who is visually challenged is the Liquivision X1, although it carries a fairly unpalatable price tag. The display glows yellow against a dark screen, which makes it VERY visible, and you can control the size of the numbers, and make them quite large.

I have a gauge protector over my Suunto Mosquito that magnifies the display underwater. Out of the water, when it doubles as a watch, I have to take the protector off to see the display clearly.

I'm looking for opinions from other VI divers. So I hope it's OK to post this here.

I can't focus on anything close, like close enough for me to see is too close for me to see. That's been a problem since I had a cornea transplant. So I either have to have big lettering, or use a magnifier.

Can any of you visually impaired divers recommend a computer that is larger type, easier to see? Good contrast, not dark gray on green/gray background.

You may want to check out an Oceanic Datamask if you have not done so. I was quite surprised at how easy it is to read and immediately available, all the time. One less hose from the primary too. Do not think you can't use it just because of your impairment, you need to try it out--you might be surprised. Doesn't cost anything to try, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom