Dive computer help! Narrowed down to 3, sort of...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gemi649

New
Reaction score
Hey All! I'm looking to buy a dive computer for my SO and I need some advice. I have read these boards extensively and everyone is quite passionate about their favorite brands/features. Diving has taken a back seat for him because our kids were little but now he is starting up again.

Looking at the TERIC vs the SUUNTO D5. I would think the TERIC would be the winner but I am just a little uncomfortable at the threads and posts about issues people have had with it. The customer service seems great but I would hope to not have a computer that needs to be sent back frequently. Hence, consideration for the SUUNTO D5.

Full disclosure, I'm actually getting 2. One of the above plus the GARMIN MK1 to pick from. At first I though it would get bad reviews because it is not a pure dive computer but the reviews have been excellent minus the lack of AI. GPS seems like a really cool feature.

Help please! Thank you so much!

I would recommend any brand except a suunto.

As suunto is really bad at quality control and customer service. So between those two the teric.

If you need to choose between Teric and D5, winner is Teric. Also, if you buy 2 computers, buy the same model.

In the end a dive computer is a tool. Figure out what you need the tool to do and then pick the right tool for the job. unless you see tech diving in your future or just have a lot of money burning a hole In Your pocket a Shearwater may be more tool than the average diver needs but if you really want it it is a great computer with the best customer service in the industry.

Hey All! I'm looking to buy a dive computer for my SO and I need some advice. I have read these boards extensively and everyone is quite passionate about their favorite brands/features. Diving has taken a back seat for him because our kids were little but now he is starting up again.

Looking at the TERIC vs the SUUNTO D5. I would think the TERIC would be the winner but I am just a little uncomfortable at the threads and posts about issues people have had with it. The customer service seems great but I would hope to not have a computer that needs to be sent back frequently. Hence, consideration for the SUUNTO D5.

Full disclosure, I'm actually getting 2. One of the above plus the GARMIN MK1 to pick from. At first I though it would get bad reviews because it is not a pure dive computer but the reviews have been excellent minus the lack of AI. GPS seems like a really cool feature.

Help please! Thank you so much!
What is his/her eyesight like?

Those are are (large) watch sized computers. Depending on age and eyesight you might be better with a Suunto EON Core or Shearwater Perdix.

Don’t take any notice of reliability concerns expressed on the internet. Anyone with a defective product will go on boards like these and sound off about it. All the brands you are thinking about are very reputable.

I would not base your decision on the 2 Shearwater problem threads. There are far more Shearwater users here than the other computers you are considering and they often use them under much more extreme conditions. What you want to see is how the manufacturer responds when issues do arise and Shearwater has a great reputation there. Much better than Suunto, especially since it was bought out by Huish Outdoors (a conglomerate that owns several diving products companies). Garmin is somewhere in the middle.

Beyond that, you are looking at very different computers. The Garmin is a full-featured GPS sports watch that includes a dive computer function. Note that the GPS does not work underwater. As a dive computer, it falls short of the other two. It really only makes sense if you are going to use the other features of the watch when you are above water. Also note that the Descent is getting kind of old. The watch it is based on has already been replaced in the Garmin lineup. Everyone expected announcement of a Mark 2, probably with Air integration, this spring. But it hasn't happened, maybe Covid pushed it back.

The Shearwater has the best display and is the most capable of the three in terms of advanced diving capabilities. It also has better battery life. The Suunto D5 appears to be a nice computer, but there's nothing that stands out when comparing it to the Teric other than it being a bit cheaper.

Thank you so much for such quick responses. It does seem like overkill to get such a high end dive computer at this time but he has over 100 dives under his belt from all over the world. He would have had so many more if we didn't decide to settle down and have kids. If our next trip goes well, I think there will be no holding back. Ultimately, he can look at it and research it for a couple weeks and if he wants something else, we can always return it. After giving it more thought, I think a dedicated dive computer will be the better way to go over the MK1 but since the next dive trip is also a sailing trip, he may want all the bells and whistles that the MK1 comes with.

I'm not sure I understand the point of getting both a Shearwater Teric and a Garmin Descent Mk1. They are both watch style computers that you can wear when not diving (unless he plans to wear one on each wrist :wink:). I would think Perdix and Teric or Perdix and Mk1 would make better combinations.

If he's into other sports, like running, cycling, hiking, etc., the Mk1 is a great option. It is a good dive computer but can also be used for other sports and for tracking daily things like steps, sleep, heart rate, etc. I have the Mk1 and it only leaves my wrist for charging and diving (it sits on my camera rig while I'm diving). If I didn't have the Mk1 already, I'd probably wait for the Mk2 which should have AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom