Dive Computer vs Bottom Timer vs watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did a bunch of searchs under this forum but really couldn't make up my mind...

Been looking at computers, bottom timers, and even watches to keep track of my bottom time, temps would be nice too.
Computers seem a little too expensive for me, and then I saw the OMS bottom timer. Looks like it has everything I'm looking for, but to get even simpler I could just get a Timex watch or something that has a timer and temp gauge.
The difference in price is fairly large, ~$500 for a computer, ~$250 for bottom timer, probably ~$125 for a simple watch.

It looks like the bottom timer may be the way to go as its big and would be easy to read while submerged.
What do people here use? Any try the OMS Bottom timer? Good/Bad??? Suggestions???

Thanks

boney:
I did a bunch of searchs under this forum but really couldn't make up my mind...

Been looking at computers, bottom timers, and even watches to keep track of my bottom time, temps would be nice too.
Computers seem a little too expensive for me, and then I saw the OMS bottom timer. Looks like it has everything I'm looking for, but to get even simpler I could just get a Timex watch or something that has a timer and temp gauge.
The difference in price is fairly large, ~$500 for a computer, ~$250 for bottom timer, probably ~$125 for a simple watch.

It looks like the bottom timer may be the way to go as its big and would be easy to read while submerged.
What do people here use? Any try the OMS Bottom timer? Good/Bad??? Suggestions???

Thanks

I used a bezel-ring watch (scuba watch) for many years. It is great for diving in the range of 50 ft or less.

Deeper than about 50 ft, and it is difficult to see the surface. Therefore some sort of digital read-out for depth is nice to have, and bottom timers are perfect for this.

So the added advantages of a bottom timer are:

1) digital depth read-out
2) digital read-out of the current depth and max depth during the dive
3) digital read-out of the dive time so far

This allows you to ascend more slowly, at 1 ft every 2 seconds, than a watch would. My bottom timer is Uwatek. OMS has good products as well however.

I eventually graduated to a dive computer, mostly because I like the dive log features in it. Suunto gives you a dive profile feature, and an ascent rate warning beeper and graphic display. It also handles nitrox extremely well.

So depending on your diving, a watch may or may not be sufficient for you. If you are diving 50 to 100 ft, then a bottom timer is nice to have. If you are diving nitrox, then a dive computer is even better.

An extremely proficient diver would not need a dive computer. Dive tables and a bottom timer is more than enough for a person who really understands what they are doing.

You can find dive computers for much less than $500, some can be bought online for as little as $150. On Ebay a used computer would be even cheaper. Most divers will carry either a backup watch or computer when diving.

You should decide how you want to dive, computer or tables, then make a selection

Ralph

I have Uwatec digital depth gauge/bottom timer (same as the OMS) and it is all you need. I think I paid $100 for it. Personally I like having the bottom timer and depth gauge in the same unit and on my right wrist.

boney:

Thanks

From what I understand the OMS is the same as the Uwatec bottom timer. They are very reliable and pretty inexpensive. In fact, I'm thinking about buy one myself since they are only about $145.00 at my LDS.

boney, rcohn is right. you need to decide if you want to dive tables or computers.

the biggest advantage to computers is that they extend bottom time by automatically calculating the multi-level profile for you as you dive, with instant update (you always know how much bottom time you have left). for no-deco diving, it's hard to beat computers.

btw, you can get excellent computers for under $300

(this is not the Pope's opinion, nor President Bush's, but my
own. as my opinon, it is neither right nor wrong, but mine :wink:)

I have used them all at different times. Part of the problem is that there is no perfect, highly inexpensive device on the market that does it all. Last year, at DEMA (the largest dive trade show), I walked the floor in search of such a device to no avail.

Computers can be of tremendous assistance, which benefits the diver. However, this has actually become dependence by most. Even if you are going to eventually get a computer, it would be best for you to stay away from them until after you are highly experienced at diving without one. Take time to learn about decompression theory and use it before considering purchasing a computer of any sort.

There is at least one device from Sunnto (the Vytec)that has the ability to function as either a dive gauge or as a computer. Some people carry this device in gauge mode. $500+ seems like a lot of money to pay for a gauge to me.

The Uwatec and OMS are the same device in all respects except for the brand name (private label distribution). I bought a set of two of them a year go for about $235. These provide you with just about (but not quite) all the information you need to carry out almost anyone's diving needs.

I wear both while on my dive. I like the idea of having one gauge to validate the other. This way, in case one starts acting up, I will be able to see conflict between them and check further. The end result: I have this redundancy for the cost of just one marginal dive computer with no backup (in case it fails).

The OMS/Uwatec does have some disadvantages. One cannot download from these devices to a computer (for purposes of evaluating the curve of your decompression profile, logging, etc.). There are more expensive devices that allow this. Whether to pay the bucks all depends on economic cost versus benefit considerations.

The other thing is that there is no resettable timer on the unit. I never really cared that much about that feature before, however, a friend of mine was carrying a watch with a resettable timer on our dive last week. He would reset the timer at each stop. This actually helped us stay even closer than usual to our dive plan.

I really have never dived using the traditional bezel watch. I dunno, I think that you need flashing digital information when under the potential influence of narcosis. I would probably not advise to get a watch other than potentially considering something cheap that has the resettable timer.

Of course, you could disregard all of this, and shell out the big clams for a set of redundant $1,300 (each!) dive computers.

How do you know which one is correct and which one is acting up?

ScubaDadMiami:
I wear both while on my dive. I like the idea of having one gauge to validate the other. This way, in case one starts acting up, I will be able to see conflict between them and check further. The end result: I have this redundancy for the cost of just one marginal dive computer with no backup (in case it fails).

Dan Gibson:
How do you know which one is correct and which one is acting up?

The fact that you are seeing two different readings is a reason to contact another team member to see if two out of three meters agree. If nothing else, go by the more conservative gauge.

The point is, you will wake up when your two gauges read differently. With only one, you may or may not notice.

H2Andy:
the biggest advantage to computers is that they extend bottom time by automatically calculating the multi-level profile for you as you dive, with instant update (you always know how much bottom time you have left). for no-deco diving, it's hard to beat computers.
Computers can't extended your bottom time.

Today I did 122ft/48min as did my buddy.

His computer couldn't extend his bottom time because he was diving an AL80.

(I was diving an LP104 without a computer.)

Got gas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom