Dive Computer vs Dive Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I realise that I may seem idiotic in asking this, but is a dive compy really that much more useful than a dive watch when somebody is starting out? I realise that a dive compy can tell you everything from the temperature, to the rate of ascent, to your arsehole tightness, but for someone starting out, would it be doable with a watch?

I do realise that a watch can't tell you if you are ascending too fast, or if you are at risk of deco (which in theory should not happen at basic rec depths, from my understanding) or if you really are the tight arse everyone says you are! But at the same time I recognise the generation before us didn't have fancy computers, and frankly, I am cheap (with the understanding that one will be required before moving on to AOW!)

This is coming from the guy who doesn't trust computers too much (note the abacus on my desk... okay maybe not that bad...)

I would ask that only those experienced in both answer this, as to prevent it from becoming an argument amongst individuals who have only experienced one or the other!

In O/W class you'll learn to plan "square" dive profiles. That's basically down to a certain depth for a certain period of time and then back up. You'll find there are max times associated with bands of depth. This is what a watch can help you with.

There is also an advanced planning technique called "multilevel" profiles. This is basically where you calculate how long you can stay at each depth. This is the main thing that a computer does for you. It keeps track of your depth and tells you how much longer you can stay at that depth. As you descend or ascend it recalculates your remaining time.

You need a depth gauge too, and temperature and recording are nice to have, so why not buy a computer(wrist mount) from the start. Basic Nitrox models are cheap these days, although I love the OLED displays, which aren't. (A couple of years back I decided that a dive watch would be a good back-up to my computer, but after a couple of dives, realized I never looked at it. I wear it every day, and it looks nice, but not in the water.) As for not trusting computers, where do you think those tables came from?

You NEED to know your depth and dive time at minimum. Unless your watch also tells you depth, you need a depth gauge. Now for beginner, I think a computer that can keep track of your nitrogen loading is very helpful. Computer with this features is not expansive. You can get one for less than $200, not much more expasnive than a dive watch

if you are looking at it from a money point of view then i would go for the dive computer.

you will get a longer dive for your bucks.

and you can even gets one that looks like a watch .

This is a variation on the old "computer vs. tables". I have both watch and computer. Depth gauge is part of console on my reg. No, you don't need a computer. I only use the computer when diving say below 50' or so. It's nice to know your (theoretical) exact bottom time remaining, particularly on a multilevel dive. No need when shallow only as you'll reach your gas, cold or boredom limit before your NDL. Must keep in mind that the computer's remaining bottom time is "exact". The depth gauge/watch is more conservative--if your max depth is 80 feet and NDL on tables is of course 30 minutes you have a little more leeway, as your avg. depth was probably 77' unless you dived with your mask in the sand the whole time. So be a little more conservative yourself when using computer. An alarm for ascents is a nice computer feature, though mine has never gone off--after all, how hard is it to ascend 10' or less every 10 seconds. Unless you don't release air from the BC while ascending, you'd have to work hard to go faster than that. I did dive a couple of years to much deeper depths than 50' with no computer, but these were square profiles. If you do that and follow the tables you don't need a computer. People did it for decades I guess. My advice would be to go with the $30 watch, use tables and be careful. You'd have to treat multi-level dives as square profiles and lose bottom time, but that's OK. Then when possible buy a computer and use it in addition. Or, if the money is there also buy a backup computer as some do. Doubt I'll do that--I still like looking at my watch--besides, it's real easy to read and I know what time it is....

I hope what I said wasn't misconstrued as not requiring a depth gauge! Yes, its nice to know how much water is above you lol.... When I say dive watch, I mean Walmart! lol.

Now days, by the time you put together the basics, you can get an entry level computer that will do what you need (and likely more) for a similar cost - it didn't used to be that way. This is the type of discussion that should take place during your education. You likely don't need a DC for classes, unless the class is going to teach only the DC component (some agencies now are "tables-optional"), and they might supply it (not sure). There are advantages of utilizing a DC, that will be realized as your abilities and experienced grow. Personally, I wouldn't race off and get one now. Let the shop provide you the equipment needed for class. Typically, all you need to bring are: fins, mask, snorkel, and sometimes a weight belt for the pool sessions, with the shop furnishing regs, BC, and gauges. Again, these are discussions to have with your specific instructor.

Have fun!

The problem with trying to get away cheap is ....it usually costs you more in the long run.You can probably get a basic computer(used) for close to the price of a depth guage and a watch. Possibly the dive shop you get certified at will be selling off rental equipment inexpensively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom