Dive computers - buckle or bungee strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just curious for those of you who have extensive experience with dive computers. Which type of strap do you prefer and why?

I'm going back to GC in a few days to complete my OW (and AOW) certification after getting sick back in December in GC while trying to get it and not being able to complete my 4th dive. When I was there prior I had a buckle strap and I found it quite tedious to put on/off. I have a Zoop Vyper Novo for reference.

The strap was a bit long and it was pretty "curly" so that made it tough to get on. Also when it was wet I found it a bit hard to get the end of the strap into the holders after I would buckle it. All in all, it felt fine once it was buckled, but I found buckling it kind of tedious. Now take into consideration, this was the first time ever taking it on/off at an actual dive site.

Tonight I played around with the bungee strap, and after getting the size to fit snuggly and as I think it will be comfortable, it is a lot easier to take on/off. There is quite a bit of excess bungee cord as well that I will cut off (leaving some slack in case) so that there is less stuff in the way. I tried it on with my wetsuit on and I think I have it at a very good size. However, I only had it on for like 2 minutes, and it was also outside of the water. So I am not sure how being in the water and the wetsuit getting wet will affect it.

So I'm wondering what the general preferences are for you experts and what the pros/cons of them are. For now I plan on probably using the bungee strap since it will just be easier to get on/off but I also don't want any surprises. I plan on bringing the buckle strap on my trip too just in case something goes wrong with it, and I have a small screw driver as well to help with installation.

So are there any surprises I should know about bungee straps that will happen once it gets wet and is in the water for a bit?

Bungee (actually I use surgical tubing since it has about 4 times the stretch) is the only option for me. Quick and easy to get on and off, no need to adjust anything when switching from wetsuit to drysuit, and same spare part for all devices.

Bungee (actually I use surgical tubing since it has about 4 times the stretch) is the only option for me. Quick and easy to get on and off, no need to adjust anything when switching from wetsuit to drysuit, and same spare part for all devices.
Interesting about the surgical tubing. Does it still stay tight on your wrist, even though it gives quite a bit? I did notice that the bungee doesn't stretch as much as I would have thought. It kind of scrapes my hand as I put it on/off.

What width of surgical tubing do you use?

Bungie over straps every time! If you tie the loops of bungie with "fisherman's knots" (look it up) you can easily adjust the loops to be tight or loose as needed. Everyone should have a $20, 100 foot roll of bungie shock cord in thier scuba toolkit. Useful for so many purposes.

I have used wrist straps since the beginning and I am about to change. The problem is that with wet suit compression at depth the computers are very loose. If I did not wear gloves I might lose one (I wear two). Need something more elastic that will not get loose.

If you remove your gear on the surface in the water (so that it can be pulled onto the boat), then I'd recommend against Bungees. A dive op in the Philippines told me a number of bungeed computers had been ripped off wrists when doffing gear that way.
Of course, if the harness has quick release connectors then that may help simplify gear removal.
Just something to keep in mind.

bungee or bust to avoid wrist to the elbow to the shoulder DCS

from too tight gauges unnecessarily on the wrist-arm for fashion

full.jpg

look at the smart angle on the second stage hose. Pretty dumb huh!

bungee or bust to avoid wrist to the elbow to the shoulder DCS

from too tight gauges unnecessarily on the wrist-arm for fashion

View attachment 510559

look at the smart angle on the second stage hose. Pretty dumb huh!

Wow, this is quite the happy little mess isn't it? :eek::eek:

Bungees, and here are my reasons:

1- They slip on and off much easier and faster without the hassle of trying to thread a strap through a buckle with 1 hand- made even easier if you thread the bungee in such a way that you have an extra loop to pull over the face of the computer to make it snug after you slip it over your wrist
2- The elastic compensates for changes in wetsuit (and glove) thickness with depth so it doesnt get loose and slide all around and up and down your arm
3- You can easily clip it to your BCD between dives using a snap bolt through the bungee

Make the bungee fairly snug but not "tight", because it will tend to loosen at depth with wetsuit compression.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the bungeed computer being "ripped off your arm" along with your gear if you take it off in the water. Everything with gear is "slow and controlled" it doesn't need to be a wrestling match to the extent that gear is falling off your body because you're ripping your gear off in some big hurry.

Back
Top Bottom