Dive Computers (Suunto vs Oceanic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Afternoon divers:

I am interested in purchasing a dive computer. The two companies that I have narrowed it down to are listed in the subject box. I would like to know what your take is on their products.

According to the research that I have done: Oceanic, although appear to be made with lower quality material, have more capabilities than those from Suunto. I am interested in an air integrated primary with a theoretical as a backup.

Cost between the two brands varies quite a bit and the algorithms used vary as well. Oceanic having their dual-algorithm feature and Suunto playing it safe and being pretty conservative. Granted Oceanic has a conservative and liberal algorithm built in.

Experience with these brands is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

nv

I have both (suunto vyper air & oceanic geo), both are well built but the edge goes to suunto. I've had some battery issues and an issue with wet mode activating with the geo. my confidence is not 100 % with the geo right now.

As for the algo's, the suunto is more conservative but in real life it hasn't been an issue for me.

Reactions: nv
My first recreational computer was an Oceanic VEO250 and I never had any issues with it. I sold it when I got more into the technical stuff. I wouldn't want to fool around with Suunto's version of RGBM.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean you wouldn't want to mess with Suunto's algorithm?

My first recreational computer was an Oceanic VEO250 and I never had any issues with it. I sold it when I got more into the technical stuff. I wouldn't want to fool around with Suunto's version of RGBM.

I'm still waiting for my Suunto to be repaired. I quit holding my breath a couple of years ago. They've had it for probably 30'ish months. Oceanic has great customer service. I just bought my wife a Geo 2.0 last month. It's a quality product, but hardly a Petrel.

If you guys know me, I'm not real big into any recreational gear. But, if I had to buy anything diving related, it will always be from something that is based in the US.

nv:
Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean you wouldn't want to mess with Suunto's algorithm?

Very conservative, hard to coordinate with other recreational computers.

Reactions: nv
Unless Suunto has a compelling feature of some sort, why pick a computer with an unnecessarily conservative algorithm? You don't have to stay down the full NDL on any computer, but violating it on a conservative one can be trouble. Like a charter op. benching you.

People have complimented the Suunto interface elsewhere; is that better than an Oceanic?

Unless Suunto has a compelling feature of some sort, why pick a computer with an unnecessarily conservative algorithm? You don't have to stay down the full NDL on any computer, but violating it on a conservative one can be trouble. Like a charter op. benching you.

People have complimented the Suunto interface elsewhere; is that better than an Oceanic?

That's a subjective judgment as to what is "unnecessarily" conservative. For me, my Suunto has been suitably conservative.

Thank you for your input! I greatly appreciate. I don't have experience with Oceanic products as I was taught on Suunto and prefer to do research on my own before going into a shop.

Do some searching on here with "Suunto" and "conservative" as keywords, and you'll see plenty of debate. No need to re-hash it here.

Back
Top Bottom