Dive Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmountai

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are headed to AKR week of January 28-February 4. Curious what the dive and water conditions have been lately on North and West sides of island? Thanks in advance.

"Surface Conditions" today or last week have no bearing on tomorrow or a week from now.

Last week, if you've been reading anything about Roatan here on SB? That West/North zone had small craft advisories. Now, it does not.

That zone AKR, West, North side is susceptible to heavy wind and wave from November through February by "Northers" which are cold fronts pushing down from the US and colliding with warm tropical Equatorial Westbound fronts. The wind and wave in your area can be quite an enlightening experience.

Water temps are about 78-80 depending in where you spend your time in the water column.

The great thing about selecting AKR is that they have a deep infrastructure and will bus you to their own private docks on the South side to avoid any weather heartaches.

Watch North American weather trends....if you see chilly temps pushing South to Texas, hang on, it could get interesting.

Go, have fun, AKR will show you a good time and you'll get a lot of diving.

Last edited:
Doc, Thanks!! We normally schedule our dive vacation in March or April when weather can be more predictable. Have never been to Roatan this early and in the "rainy" season. I will keep an eye out the rest of this week at the Weather.

Weather has been pretty good. Starting late last night we have winds coming in from the west. They are supposed to let up this afternoon, no telling what it will be after that. Because of all the rain we had during November & December vis has been down but it has been getting better, January his been mild. There really is no good weather forecasts for the island but the best is either windfinder for the wind and sea conditions and weather underground for a forecast.

Doc is correct on his info, I would not worry about the weather, your coming from the cold to upper 70's to mid 80's

Colo Hippie, thanks! I found Windfinder last night. I like it shows wave height as well as wind speed. Was curious about vis. We here in Idaho have been what some have dubbed "Snowmagedden" this year. Since mid-December we have had snow, ice and COLD temps (for us) with almost no break in the weather. I think the longest we have gone without seeing it snow has been about 5 days. So, yep, I am ready to blow this pop stand! Rain in the high 70's, low 80's beats -10 and snow. Actually, quite balmy today at 23 and snowing. We still have 2 more months of Winter. Might have to plan another trip to Roatan in late March just to stop my complaining. :)

Windfinder is one of my favorite sites before a dive trip :) FWIW, I have found Weather Underground to be the most accurate weather forecast for Roatan. At least it gives you something to gaze at while you dream of diving in paradise!

Back
Top Bottom