Dive Dominica - Disappointing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto Fishbird above, except I found the diving nice for attempted semi-wide angle as well. True wide angle might not go as well since the vis was usually in the 50-65 foot range vs. 70+, but by no means murky. The reef color and cover was superb. Was on island in April/May of this year, wrote a long report about it on this very forum, and enjoyed it. Granted we were with Anchorage not Dive Dominica or Castle Comfort, but we were right next door, often next to their boat at nearby moorings (we were in a smaller boat so we often 'raced' them to get undocked for pick of the sites first) and spoke to people from CC who said they had a great time too.

To be fair we read some other poor-ish reviews of Anchorage and were concerned before going, but found that many of the complaints were being addressed (rooms being upgraded, etc.). Maybe 2007 (and 2005, I see the OP was pretty old here) was a bad year. :) I know July is getting deep into the slow season too, so maybe the staff is getting distracted thinking of their own time off by then, who knows.

There were a few beggars, but far less than we've seen elsewhere in the Caribbean, and with one exception they took "no" graciously. We felt much safer and more welcomed overall than in St. Maarten, to be honest. And we walked as much as we could, including right thru New Towne on the south side of Roseau, which is a bit on the (ahem) "underdeveloped" side. Walked about halfway down from the Castle Comfort/Anchorage area toward Soufriere as well and had the same experience; most people were friendly, a few would try (mostly gently vs. in-your-face) to sell you a tour or whatnot but no one messed with us at all, and I'm not exactly an imposing guy (and my wife is blonde and cute).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom