Dive Flag Awareness Event FL Statewide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjnjupiter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently, our fellow diver, Rob Murphy was struck by a boat while he was diving. The accident caused the loss of both of Rob's legs. There are still boaters that do not understand the DIVE FLAG LAWS. On SATURDAY JANUARY 31,we are organizing the largest DIVE FLAG AWARENESS event to date. It is our hope to have volunteers standing by at EVERY PUBLIC BOAT RAMP in Florida to hand out Brochures from the FWC regarding DIVE FLAG LAWS. We will also ask every boater to SIGN A PETITION started by Chad Carney, urging Governor Crist to declare a Dive Flag Awareness Day here in Florida. We want the media to cover the event in your area. Rob's family will be joining us here in Jupiter to help publicize this event. We will keep track of how many people and boat ramps so I can prepare a press release for the media in your area. IF YOU CAN HELP, email info@scuba-works.com or randy@emeraldcharters.com.

Here is a list of the Boat Ramps we have covered so far with the contact info.

Dive Flag Awareness
31-Jan-09

1 Burt Reynolds Park Jupiter Scuba Works (561) 575-3483
2 Fort DeSoto Park Tampa Bay Chad Carney (727) 423-7775
3 Bay Pines St Pete Chad Carney
4 Seminole Clearwater Chad Carney
5 Lantana Lantana Fl Free Divers (561) 503-0848
6 Curry Park West Palm Laura Rogers need info
7 Jensen Causeway Jensen Beach Deep Six (772) 692-2747
8 Sansprit Park Stuart Bubba, Petra need info
9 Rivergate Port St Lucie Deep Six (772) 692-2747
10 Destin Destin Jim B need info

Thanks Randy for the post on this forum! Looks like the word is getting out.

steve

Many of us have had close calls with boats while diving, recently a spearfisherman lost both his legs to a boats propellor. There is a thread going on, over on spearboard, for a dive flag awareness day Jan-31-09. People will be handing out flyers at ramps all over the state, perhaps you can give a stack to fuel docks in your area to pass out.

Lt Bingham of the FWC has designed a flyer, print up a 100 copies and pass them out. Education is the first step in preventing accidents between divers and boaters. Let's get out there and educate.

Take a couple hours and go pass out some flyers on Jan 31 at your local ramps.

The thread over there has some sign up info and who is going where

Dive Flag Event! Calling All Divers - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Looks like another thread was started while I was doing this one, it has info on who is going where

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...9-dive-flag-awareness-event-fl-statewide.html

Thank you, Doug. I will email the brochure and petition link and will be mailing some bumper stickers to you. I will get your info later. For now, your generous committment is all we need. Again, Thank You.

Randy

Sign me up for the JLloyd Park Ramp in Dania Beach, I'll also drop brochures off at nearby fuel docks/ marinas..

Brian and Dennis, let me know when you will be at those boat ramps and if I'm not at work, I'll come and help you.

I found this in the Sun-Sentinel. To pi$$ed off to say more.

South Florida: Diver loses legs

January 12, 2009

A Palm Beach County man lost his legs after being run over by a boat while diving near a Martin County park, according to state officials.

Robert Murphy, 26, was spearfishing in the St. Lucie River on Friday when he was hit by a boat driven by Roger Nicosia said Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro. Palm Beach Post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom