Dive Flag Awareness Event FL Statewide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a piont to consider...Even I florida it is safe to assume there are fewer boaters out and about in January than in July and that those who are active in January are more dedicated and more likely to be aware of the rules of the road (obvious recent exception noted). In order to be more successful this boater education drive needs to be extended thru, or repeated in, the "regular boating season".

I agree, it would be great if we could do this on a regular basis.

Might I suggest that in addition to the ramps, pay a visit to your local boat rental locations and drop them off some flyers as well.

Here in the Sarasota area it seems that as many of those close calls happen, the boat goes by you can clearly read on the side XYZ rentals ...

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking our snowbirds as many of our local folks need their money to survive... But in the spirit of rasing awareness - there's not as many divers off the shores of Long Island as you'll find off Venice on a given weekend...

James

I'd like to try to help over here in SRQ. How can I get a copy of the brochure from the FWC?
Is this it?---->Divers Down Flag Law
That page reads like stereo instructions. It's mostly for "us" divers and not directed toward boaters. Is there another brochure?

Beautiful avatar. This brochure was put together by Lt Bingham of the FWC and addreeses the rules for boaters but also reminds divers and boat operators to share some responsibility. The bumper sticker sya 300ft its the law save a life. More direct. The people at the ramp will surely get questions like what is the law.I hope the brochure helps.

Just a piont to consider...Even I florida it is safe to assume there are fewer boaters out and about in January than in July and that those who are active in January are more dedicated and more likely to be aware of the rules of the road (obvious recent exception noted). In order to be more successful this boater education drive needs to be extended thru, or repeated in, the "regular boating season".
Part of the drive is a petition urging Gov Crist to declare an annual Dive Flag Awareness Day. Sheri Daye, Chad Carney and Lt Bingham are working on an acceptable date every year but it will be during the most active season perhaps around Memorial Day.

Looks like Brian will be heading up 15th st in Pt Everglades with a lot of Scubaboard help. Thank you all so much.

While I agree this should be an ongoing push, I believe it's also about time we begin lobbying the state of Florida to require operating licenses for boats. It's unconscionable to me that anyone, no matter how little boating experience or knowledge they have can buy a boat and be driving it the same day. I have personally had numerous close calls w/ boaters not only oblivious to my presence in the water, but clearly oblivious to the rules and regulations regarding vessel operation.

The dive community in Florida is huge and we need to flex our collective muscles to make the waterways a safer place.

Take a look at I-95, licenses don't change attitudes.

Take a look at I-95, licenses don't change attitudes.

So you're saying requiring boaters to be educated to maritime rules of the road and boat handling are a bad idea? Something needs to be done, what's your solution?

I think that doing this in the winter is AWESOME, don't forget that we have boaters from all over the world here right now who may not even be aware of our laws. Floridians know darned well what a dive flag is, they drive by dive shops every day. Heck, maybe we should endeavor to do this monthly or at least quarterly.

I worked for a dive shop years ago; a man brought in a tank that had a deep propellor cut in it. A boat ran him over and thankfully only hit his tank...it pushed him down several feet forcefully. He was one of the lucky ones. We used that tank in classes after that to remind people to be careful.

While I agree this should be an ongoing push, I believe it's also about time we begin lobbying the state of Florida to require operating licenses for boats. It's unconscionable to me that anyone, no matter how little boating experience or knowledge they have can buy a boat and be driving it the same day. I have personally had numerous close calls w/ boaters not only oblivious to my presence in the water, but clearly oblivious to the rules and regulations regarding vessel operation.

The dive community in Florida is huge and we need to flex our collective muscles to make the waterways a safer place.
Unfortunately, there is no "Thanks" button here.

IIRC, the marine industry has lobbied AGAINST licensing of boat operators for many years. Dennis, you are right, lots of licensed bozos on I-95, but the simple act of taking the test for the license will at least enhance awareness.

Floridians know darned well what a dive flag is, they drive by dive shops every day.

Agreed, but I'll bet if you asked every boater at the ramp what the dive flag means to them they would be able to tell you diver down but I doubt most of them could tell you rules surrounding it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom