dive flag momento

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maderadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok i am not sure f this is the right section for this question but it is dive flag related i purchased a rather large dive flag with the intention of flying it however my wife had the idea of having people we dive with from now on sign it

My question is it ok the fly a dive flag with writing on it or is it just a bad idea and i shoukd just get another one to have people sign.

There's no scuba police. Sounds like a fun idea. Go for it!

There are several locations that require a dive flag. Those sites also state the range for the diver from the flag, the size of the flag and how high it must be.

I have not read anything restricting writing on the flag.

I agree with cg5150, sounds like a fun idea~!

80 Proof Divers - 80 Proof Divers

Here is a video semi related, however this is for the state of North Carolina The Dive Flag and The Law - YouTube. Being a former Law Enforcement Officer, learning to interpret the law can be tricky. Others will say there are no scuba police, that we police ourselves, which I agree, I would say as long as it did not take away from the purpose or the visibility of the flag (being there for your safety), I would say go for it. In all honesty, I like your idea, and I think I will steal it. But you can't turn me into the scuba police :D.

while it's true that there is not scuba police, dive flags are as much a part of scuba diving as they are of boating...and there are boat police.

I am not an authority on displaying dive flags, but IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with having some writing on a dive flag. However, it seems to me that at some point, especially if divers are using thick black markers, the dive flag will start to appear less like a dive flag and more like artwork. I could see you getting a ticket for improperly displaying a dive flag once the line is crossed, even though the line is a bit fuzzy.

If you want to have it for your dive buddies to sign, don't take it in the water. The grommets will become dull and the ink may fade. The whole flag will get whipped by any wind and the end will start shredding. (I do ocean diving from a boat--your conditions may not be the same). Sounds like a great memory maker wherever you decide to hang it and get a second one to put in the water.

Back
Top Bottom