Dive Flag Needed for Shore Dives Brockville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@shoredivr
responded

"Then there are the boat drivers and jet ski drivers that like to use diver down flags as markers for turning.

I use the term drivers not pilots on purpose as these folks have zero dive flag awareness. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have 1000 -2499 dives `
You live in the area -
you dive the area

What have you done to educate the uniformed boat drivers and jet ski drivers?
Perhaps:
* Printed and distributed posters & brochures describing the dive flag?
* Lectured at fishing, boating & sailing organizations about the dive flag?
* Printed business cards describing the function of a dive flag
* Contacted local authorities to create dive flag ordinances ?

I suspect the answers are No! No! No! And NO !

Why ? You have dove the area between 1000 -2499 times

SAM Miller, 111

@Marie13 CE

Hi @Sam Miller III
My 90 year old father in law died on Sept 22 after a week of struggling with septicemia. I am one of the primary care givers as he and his wife lived in my house.

Perhaps you can understand that I’ve had other things on my mind than the post I made on this thread.

The boating laws and training in Ontario have a section on dive flags and how far away to stay from one. It makes little difference IMO.

Stay Away from Divers | CN | Boat Ed.com™

Sorry to hear of your great loss..And it is a great loss for all involved

I lost my best friend and dive buddy of 50 years on September 22 several years ago.
You can read about it in my post titled September 22

Warmest regards and deepest sympathy of your loss

SAM

Thanks @Sam Miller III. It’s never easy, is it? Strange coincidence about the date.

Sorry for both your loss. It's horrible to lose loved ones. It always amazes me when someone goes how fast my time with them felt, and how much I cherish the memories.

Good day, heading to Canada this weekend, looking to see if dive flags are needed / required / law for shore dives?

Looking to do some simple dives in Brockville. I'm taking a flag, just want to know what the laws are. I can't find anything definitive online (I may not be looking in the right place though!)

So, how was your diving in Brockville? Which boat and shore sites did you dive? Which ones would you recommend?

@EdC and I will be going there in November for one day of diving, planning to do a morning boat and then one shore site after lunch. For now, based solely on Dive Brockville website descriptions, thinking about Daryaw and Gaskin from the boat, then Conestoga from shore.

So, how was your diving in Brockville? Which boat and shore sites did you dive? Which ones would you recommend?

@EdC and I will be going there in November for one day of diving, planning to do a morning boat and then one shore site after lunch. For now, based solely on Dive Brockville website descriptions, thinking about Daryaw and Gaskin from the boat, then Conestoga from shore.

We dove with Dive Brockville Adventure Centre. Captain Vincent (great guy) on both trips.

Friday afternoon

The Robert Gaskin - old, neat, but more like a pile of wood to look at. Visibility wasn't great, so it was hard to gauge how nice it is if you could see the entire wreck. A good bit of wildlife though.

The Lillie Parsons - technically a wreck, but more like an obstacle course. You drift around the wreck (which is 100% upside down), then pull yourself back to the beginning via a chain and drift around again, pull yourself to the beginning again. The last stretch is drifting over the wreck instead of around and you realize just how massive it is. After all that, you drift along a wall for 2 min or more and then have to grab a rope dangling in the current to bring yourself around the back side of the island away from the current. By far the most exciting dive of all 4. If you were still allowed to dive from the island I would walk across and do it at least 2-3 times it was fun. The wreck itself is interesting, but not as interesting as the current (to me anyway).

Saturday morning

Keystorm - sadly, I only got to see ~ 20% of this one. I was helping my wife and by the time she called the dive it was too late for me to go see all of it. There is supposed to be a monster of a propeller @ ~ 110' or so. I saw some pictures, looked pretty neat. The others in my group said the visibility wasn't spectacular the day that we went

Kinghorn - the best wreck dive (at least to me). She sits upright as you would expect a ship to be sailing. There's a few things to look at and you can fin to one side on the top deck and then let the current take you over the entire wreck as somewhat of a slow drift which was really interesting. I enjoyed the fact that as you swim over the bow? of the ship you can really gauge how large it was by looking at how far it is to the river bed. Beautiful wreck.

I was made aware of beforehand but if not I would not have known that tanks are not included in the trips (as it is in the FL Keys). I actually rented 2 100cf steel from Dive Tech up the street (really awesome place to go check out). If you don't need tanks then that part is irrelevant. Dive Brockville only had 3 100cf to rent and I needed 4 for myself and my wife. Dive Tech has ~ a million tanks, so plenty to rent:)

Everything is listed in Canadian so to gauge any real price I had to multiply by .76 (really .89 after you add the 13% tax). I knew this, but forgot on occasion. Was pleasantly surprised on my credit card bill to see prices LESS than what I expected.

Water for us was 67F, the St. Lawrence River does not have a thermocline. I wore 7mm farmer john, no hood, no gloves and that was great for all the dives. I would probably wear a hood if I had it to do again. The water was great, but I got a slight chill at around the 45 minute mark. Nobody in my group did drysuit, although 3 of the 6 owned them....not sure why they didn't.

Unfortunately because of time we did not do any shore dives, but the dives that we did do were really different. I've never experienced current like that before so that was new and exciting for me. I would go back in a heartbeat. It was darker / colder diving than my wife is used to and I think she would have been better had we done a few shore dives to start. For me it was magic. The SLR by itself is beautiful, but to be able to go down to 100'+ and see what's underneath was definitely a check on my bucket list that I didn't even know existed:)

We dove with Dive Brockville Adventure Centre. Captain Vincent (great guy) on both trips.

Friday afternoon

The Robert Gaskin - old, neat, but more like a pile of wood to look at. Visibility wasn't great, so it was hard to gauge how nice it is if you could see the entire wreck. A good bit of wildlife though.

The Lillie Parsons - technically a wreck, but more like an obstacle course. You drift around the wreck (which is 100% upside down), then pull yourself back to the beginning via a chain and drift around again, pull yourself to the beginning again. The last stretch is drifting over the wreck instead of around and you realize just how massive it is. After all that, you drift along a wall for 2 min or more and then have to grab a rope dangling in the current to bring yourself around the back side of the island away from the current. By far the most exciting dive of all 4. If you were still allowed to dive from the island I would walk across and do it at least 2-3 times it was fun. The wreck itself is interesting, but not as interesting as the current (to me anyway).

Saturday morning

Keystorm - sadly, I only got to see ~ 20% of this one. I was helping my wife and by the time she called the dive it was too late for me to go see all of it. There is supposed to be a monster of a propeller @ ~ 110' or so. I saw some pictures, looked pretty neat. The others in my group said the visibility wasn't spectacular the day that we went

Kinghorn - the best wreck dive (at least to me). She sits upright as you would expect a ship to be sailing. There's a few things to look at and you can fin to one side on the top deck and then let the current take you over the entire wreck as somewhat of a slow drift which was really interesting. I enjoyed the fact that as you swim over the bow? of the ship you can really gauge how large it was by looking at how far it is to the river bed. Beautiful wreck.

I was made aware of beforehand but if not I would not have known that tanks are not included in the trips (as it is in the FL Keys). I actually rented 2 100cf steel from Dive Tech up the street (really awesome place to go check out). If you don't need tanks then that part is irrelevant. Dive Brockville only had 3 100cf to rent and I needed 4 for myself and my wife. Dive Tech has ~ a million tanks, so plenty to rent:)

Everything is listed in Canadian so to gauge any real price I had to multiply by .76 (really .89 after you add the 13% tax). I knew this, but forgot on occasion. Was pleasantly surprised on my credit card bill to see prices LESS than what I expected.

Water for us was 67F, the St. Lawrence River does not have a thermocline. I wore 7mm farmer john, no hood, no gloves and that was great for all the dives. I would probably wear a hood if I had it to do again. The water was great, but I got a slight chill at around the 45 minute mark. Nobody in my group did drysuit, although 3 of the 6 owned them....not sure why they didn't.

Unfortunately because of time we did not do any shore dives, but the dives that we did do were really different. I've never experienced current like that before so that was new and exciting for me. I would go back in a heartbeat. It was darker / colder diving than my wife is used to and I think she would have been better had we done a few shore dives to start. For me it was magic. The SLR by itself is beautiful, but to be able to go down to 100'+ and see what's underneath was definitely a check on my bucket list that I didn't even know existed:)

Thank you for a detailed and informative report. Kinghorn sounds like a great wreck, but it is out of Rockport, and we pretty much settled on Brockville as the departure point. Very interesting perspective on Gaskin vs. Lillie Parsons for us to mull over... We want to see Daryaw first, going to Lillie Parsons after would mean that both boat dives would be on turtled wrecks, would be nice to see at least one of them upright :)

We did Keystorm back in August (along with America and the Islander), very cool wreck, would love to come back to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom