Dive Gear Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need to run there. I used to live in Miami and if I ordered in the AM I would get it next day. I don't believe how quick the items arrived.

Yeah their shipping is lightning! Sometimes i needed little hardware bits that day so the 15 minute drive isn't a big deal. Love that place!

Love DGX and love my miflex hoses. There was an issue with some of them but the issue was addressed (from what I read) and they're officially safe now. They have great deals on flashlights too.

DGX has excellent customer service. I use and prefer DGX's in house braided LP hoses. Very supple and the pricing is excellent. I find the HP hoses stiff but again the LP hoses are excellent

Love DGX and love my miflex hoses. There was an issue with some of them but the issue was addressed (from what I read) and they're officially safe now. They have great deals on flashlights too.

I could be wrong, but I think all the braided hose manufacturers still recommend replacement every 4 or 5 years or something like that.

MiFlex says "consider replacing your hoses every 5 years or 500 dives."

Miflex Maintenance Tips | Maintaining Your Hoses

Even though they may have addresses some QC issues in the past, I think it is still the case that a failure mode of the braided hoses is that the inner tube can break down with no visible indication on the outside of the hose. I.e. they can fail in a way that you can't see coming.

In contrast, I don't think rubber hoses will fail in that way. I think rubber hoses pretty much always have visible signs on the outside before they fail.

I have some MiFlex hoses on one reg set. I will be replacing them with rubber when the time comes. I find that a rubber hose and an OmniSwivel-style of swivel ($25 from Cave Adventurers) works just as well for me as a braided hose does, in terms of "hose comfort". And I *think* that normal maintenance will result in more reliability long-term than braided hoses. But, that is just my gut feeling.

I've used DGX several times, orders have always arrived within 2 working days to the UK, can't fault them, I just wish the shipping and imports taxes weren't so damn expensive!

@stuartv - yes, there was a problem with a specific inner lining that was degrading an causing a clog in the hose. Those hoses were recalled and the same problem does not exist with the inner lining of the rest. I only have about 250 dives, so I'm thinking I won't need to replace for a while. I honestly don't know what I'll do when it's time to replace them. I really do like the flexibility, but even a hint of a safety problem is enough to default back to 'tried and true'. We'll see.

Unrelated but interesting - my husband has a Jeep Wrangler with a rag top. Under the top there are straps made of webbing - like used for a weight belt - and they have disintegrated into dust over the last 7 years! Made me wonder if people using weight belts/tank straps in consistently hot locations may have a similar issue.

Made me wonder if people using weight belts/tank straps in consistently hot locations may have a similar issue.

It's the UV exposure which causes the damage. In subtropical regions people get extra careful about keeping gear, and skin, out of the sun.

I just wish the shipping and imports taxes weren't so damn expensive!

Isn't their shipping free for orders over $250, and the import duty 2,7%
It is the VAT which seems expensive. But that is the same in your LDS.

Last edited:
It's the UV exposure which causes the damage. In subtropical regions people get extra careful about keeping gear, and skin, out of the sun.
I could never understand why some divers will dry all their gears under the hot sun! As for me only the wet suit and the booties are exposed to UV, the rest stay under the shade.

Isn't their shipping free for orders over $250, and the import duty 2,7%
It is the VAT which seems expensive. But that is the same in your LDS.
Yes, but the stuff I order is often nowhere near $250 unfortunately, adding the VAT to what I consider is already a fairly high price just makes it a little prohibitive sometimes, and if I could source them from somewhere in the UK, believe me I would!

Back
Top Bottom