Dive gear storage in garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you empty tanks?
to prevent inside condensation. condensationis a matter of RH PSI and temp. you can get a puddle at 40F with a full tank llower the pressure and the dew point goes way down to sub -30s all the way to up to -100 or more. you can find a dew point calculator that includes psi. with out chemical filters on a compressor air in the tank is 99% RH at the temp filled wiwth chemical filters like desicant perhaps 50 or 60% RH at 3000 psi. if you vent the tank dow to say 12 bar the dew point can be as low as -100F

Dew point under pressure | Airpack, custom made oil and gas packages world wide

go to this link and use the bottom part top entry -30 them 1 bar psi answer is -31 degrees for dew point

now use same -30 then at 200 bar and you now get a dew point at 41 degrees

raising the pressure changed dew point from minus temps to positive temps, in the winter in this case if the temps get to 38 degrees you will have water in your tank from condensation.

I also plan to use it store a small amount of garden tools and mower. Please advise what needs to be done in terms of insulation, ventilation, storage solution for latex seals (on drysuits), etc.

There is a bit of over-thinking involved. Just ensure that there is a bit of a cross-breeze to dry gear to keep the suits and boots from developing a cadaverous, marriage-ending odor. Either hang regulators from racks or keep them in rubber tubs, only after they've been thoroughly dried.

That latter bit is particularly important. More often than not, regulators receive short shrift at the end of the season -- more so than other gear, in my experience; and frequently develop corrosive problems, while in storage. About twenty-five percent of the gear that I have serviced, was that material, improperly left in storage.

I, too, keep the lion's share of my gear in my attached garage, suspended on a lengthy wooden dowel, from the rafters; and, in the past, even had rolling clothing racks. I wouldn't be too concerned about water heaters; washers and dryers, provided they are not in direct contact with suits . . .

Hi,

If these portable wardrobes are available in the UK, you might find it advantageous to use one for your gear. Mine keeps my gear dust-free and dry. Check with your local dive shop for appropriate hangers to use for BCs, wetsuits, etc.

upload_2020-7-10_6-42-40.jpeg

I live in California, so I can’t offer cold climate advice for reg/computer storage. I store mine in the same wardrobe with my BCs, wetsuits, etc.

However, the one universal advise is to thoroughly rinse your gear in fresh water, and completely dry it prior to storage.

Have Fun!

Joe

I didn't know the dew point changed like that with pressure change,

Grade E air has to have a dew point of -45.6 at atmospheric pressure. When I play with the numbers, that seems to correspond to a dew point of 14 degrees c or 57f. Is that right? Seems like we would be having significant moisture problems as it's not too hard even in florida to get to that temperature in winter.

Block them from UV exposure as well. My garage has a window right where I had to place my rack. I have 5 divers in the family so its a chunk of real estate for storage. I blocked the window with thick foam and have a curtain that pulls around the gear its cloth so it breathes. But UV exposure on one are of gear is probably one of the worst things to occur. Make sure your sippers are all cleaned and lubed for gear not used very often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom