Dive gear storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhford2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would greatly appreciate if people, who are happy with the dive gear storage.....would share their ideas and photos.

I have a closet dedicated to scuba stuff. I used to hang my fins and regs and even my mask from the carabiners, and the tub at the bottom was just for drips. Now I put the fins and my full 7mil wetsuit in it. You can't see it in the picture, but I put a 1" solid aluminum bar across the top to hang things from. I leave my DSMB, reel, dive flags, defog, DC, etc in a duffel bag which sometimes sits in/on the bin and other times sits on the floor next to my desk.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I know a guy from my LDS that has a tent with a dehumidifier he uses to store/dry gear. I dry my gear on the deck behind my house. My setup seems to work well for me.

I made everything out of PVC since it's cheap and easy to work with. 1" PVC seems to fit regular hangers as well as UK BC hangers.

I sized all the racks to that they fit into either Rubbermaid tubs or tub lids. I use a small shop vac to remove the water once everything stops dripping.

The tall racks (wet suit and BC) have sand in the tubing at the base for stability.

DSC08991.JPG

The bases are rectangular and go around the inside perimeter of the tubs.

DSC08992.JPG

The upright poles on each side are for drying gloves.

+1 for a PVC skeleton, but I drill a bunch of 3/8" holes towards the ends so I can blow air into the boots, gloves and dry suit (using the output of a little wet/dry vac.) Really speeds drying stuff.

I sized all the racks to that they fit into either Rubbermaid tubs or tub lids.
Are you also using the Rubbermaid tubs for rinsing the gear in before hanging?

I got two 4x4s and built bases for them. Then I drilled a hole in them and use an old snow roof-rake pole as a cross bar to connect them. Sprayed the wooden stands with that rubber silicone spray to make them hold up to wet gear dripping on them. Then added a bunch of rubber-covered screw-in hooks. The pair go in my garage and most of my gear hang on it throughout the season. Then when it's winter, I haul them down to the basement and hang the gear there until the spring. Works good. I also built the six tank holder too.

GearRackB.JPG

I do use Rubbermaid tubs for rinsing gear. Just not the same ones that I have the drying racks in, cause they're kinda a pain to take in and out of the tubs.

I considered drilling holes and adding a fan to push air through the boots/gloves. Instead I got 2 small fans and position one at the base of each pair of boots (not on the Rubbermaid cover though, don't want to get electrocuted). This system works so well that I decided not to add the air system to the PVC itself. We also have a 70 pint dehumidifier in our scuba room which we run until everything is dry.

Glad to hear that pumping air through the PVC works well though, I've always wondered if it would. I never thought to use a shop vac for the air, I was going to use a small fan. We have all our stuff inside so running a shop vac for a while to dry everything would be unpleasantly loud.

I'm jelly. I have a very small place and my LR and bathroom look like a dive shop!

Warmer, it seems you used 1" for the top and perhaps 1"+ (1.5, 2?) for the sides? Thanks! This is a fantastic idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom