Dive gear storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storage? Or dryage?

As vacation divers, we store our gear in our gear bags once it has dried after being rinsed and hung in the spare bathroom. The bathroom is a bit of a mess for a while after each trip.

Warmer, it seems you used 1" for the top and perhaps 1"+ (1.5, 2?) for the sides? Thanks! This is a fantastic idea.

The boot rack is all 1/2" PVC.
The wet suit and BC racks are 2" PVC for the bottom and sides and then 1" across the top. I had to do two reductions (2"->1.5"->1") because I couldn't find a fitting that went from 2" right to 1".

If you're going to make these, I highly recommend using a power saw to cut the PVC. I used a manual pipe cutter for the boot rack and it took a few hours. With 1" or bigger the pipe cutter wouldn't work so I bought a miter saw. Should have gotten that to start. Made everything much quicker and easier, so if you can get access to one I highly recommend it!

Do you want gear storage pics from the bedroom, kitchen, or living room? All have dive gear in them. :wink:

Keep the pictures coming in..... I need a project this winter and I think it will involve building one of these.

I made everything out of PVC since it's cheap and easy to work with. 1" PVC seems to fit regular hangers as well as UK BC hangers.

I sized all the racks to that they fit into either Rubbermaid tubs or tub lids. I use a small shop vac to remove the water once everything stops dripping.

The tall racks (wet suit and BC) have sand in the tubing at the base for stability.

View attachment 383397
The bases are rectangular and go around the inside perimeter of the tubs.

View attachment 383399
The upright poles on each side are for drying gloves.

Warmer, love the racks, for the boot rack, are those 45 degree bends?

I am going to build an equipment room in my garage. I would like to have a bit of heat out there. I know that electric motors produce ozone which is hard on latex, neoprene and other materials that make up dive gear. Does anyone know if electric baseboard heaters produce ozone? I Googled it but didn't really find much.

Most of my diving is shore diving ... away from home.

On the road, I have 2 "half" height rubbermaid tubs. One holds my drysuit, the other holds my wet dive gear. I'll rinse if there is a hose handy at the site (not usually, but sometimes). I do keep several large water bottles handy for quick rinses. The gear "stays" wet while I'm away.

When I get back, everything goes into the tub in said bins and do several soaks with fresh water. Another day for them to dry, and they go back on my shelves.

I use just wire shelving, 3 units wide, 2 units tall to hold everything but tanks. 1 shelf wide is service/charging items, and the other two hold the rest of the gear. Small 'shoe box' tubs hold most of the equipment, and is handy to pull everything down in 1 tub related to a specific diving activity (camera parts, lights, regulators, masks, gauges, service kits, etc)

Exposure protection go back into the half height tubs and stored.

I also have 2 shelving units and made a solid work top (with vices) as a work bench with tools and misc supplies underneath, along with a Husky X-Table (home depot)

This all lives in a spare bedroom

_R

Warmer, love the racks, for the boot rack, are those 45 degree bends?

Yup, just the 45 degree elbows from HD. That way it keeps the toes of the boots up and the shaft angled down so that they'll drain. Works really well.

I made everything out of PVC since it's cheap and easy to work with. 1" PVC seems to fit regular hangers as well as UK BC hangers.

I sized all the racks to that they fit into either Rubbermaid tubs or tub lids. I use a small shop vac to remove the water once everything stops dripping.

The tall racks (wet suit and BC) have sand in the tubing at the base for stability.

View attachment 383397
The bases are rectangular and go around the inside perimeter of the tubs.

View attachment 383399
The upright poles on each side are for drying gloves.
Can you send a pic of the rack inside the tubs? I want to see how they are stabilized. Thanks.

I am going to build an equipment room in my garage. I would like to have a bit of heat out there. I know that electric motors produce ozone which is hard on latex, neoprene and other materials that make up dive gear. Does anyone know if electric baseboard heaters produce ozone? I Googled it but didn't really find much.

Electric baseboard heaters do not produce ozone.

Back
Top Bottom