Dive gods: How well do you clean your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be due to uber neglect!

Not necessarily ... I've had Schrader valves fail before, and I take reasonably good care of my equipment. But it does beg the question why didn't he simply disconnect the hose? Isn't that a skill they still teach in OW classes?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not necessarily ... I've had Schrader valves fail before,
I replace the Schraeder valves in my Zeagle BCs every year just as I replace seats and seals on my regs. Think how long it would take for that spring to rust through. Far longer than a year. I also use stainless steel valves and don't mind changing them sooner if there's ever a single eensy teensy leak. BTW, I think Zeagle is the only manufacturer using Schraeder valves, right?

I replace the Schraeder valves in my Zeagle BCs every year just as I replace seats and seals on my regs. Think how long it would take for that spring to rust through. Far longer than a year. I also use stainless steel valves and don't mind changing them sooner if there's ever a single eensy teensy leak. BTW, I think Zeagle is the only manufacturer using Schraeder valves, right?

... they're in your LP hose fitting (but you knew that) ... a self-inflating BC failure is almost always caused by a faulty Schrader valve. And all you have to do to address the problem is pop the hose off and manually manage your air cell. It's a skill you're supposed to have learned early in your training ... although I'm not sure they're still teaching it in OW classes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and ssi but that doesn't mean that someone responds correctly in the relatively short time that they have before it all goes to hell. I would guess that 10 seconds of misdiagnosing what is going on is all it would take to create a bad outcome. Some inflator hoses are tough to undo. Mine is easy and I practice it but the one on my old airsource3 was a bitch with gloves on. With a clear thought process, it is no big deal at all.

they're in your LP hose fitting
But those won't cause a runaway inflation. Most inflators use O-rings to manage air in and out of the inflator/deflator valve. Zeagle uses a Schraeder valve in the inflator part of their valve. That and the hose fitting make them my favorite valve even if they are expensive.

What about soft weights? Do you rinse after a salt water dive?

Thanks

GJS

Yes, after a salt dive soft weights go into the big plastic wash tub (usually on top of the booties, gloves, suit and and socks to keep them down). Everything gets hosed off including tank and fins, wing gets flushed, reg gets dunked and hosed (after cap on). Lights, camera, knives, reel, flag and computer all get hosed, decently rinsed and then all things hang in my garage from one of the pole pieces from my roof snow rake wedged between my step ladder's top step and an old coat rack that I think came from my grandmother's house. Routine takes thirty minutes or so at the end of the day's dive but is part of the deal...

Ugh...sorry.

Do we know anything about his habits for gear maintenance -- hosing off salt or annual servicing? Any known issue with with the make/model of his inflator?

I do not know any of that.

A run away inflator shouldn't be an issue frankly. I had one once a tiny bit of chrome caused the valve to stick open. All you do is disconnect the LPI while dumping, and either thumb the dive or continue while oral inflation.

Keyword: "should"

Yes, after a salt dive soft weights go into the big plastic wash tub (usually on top of the booties, gloves, suit and and socks to keep them down). Everything gets hosed off including tank and fins, wing gets flushed, reg gets dunked and hosed (after cap on). Lights, camera, knives, reel, flag and computer all get hosed, decently rinsed and then all things hang in my garage from one of the pole pieces from my roof snow rake wedged between my step ladder's top step and an old coat rack that I think came from my grandmother's house. Routine takes thirty minutes or so at the end of the day's dive but is part of the deal...
Yeah, I left out some of the various places I hang stuff and stick stuff, varying with winter/summer and where I am in North America. But there's a routine for everywhere--I guess we all have them.

Re soft weights: I only dive fresh water. My soft weights just get flung into my trunk and live there. They do double duty to block my tanks so they don't move sideways while in transit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom