Dive gods: How well do you clean your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends where I dive. Some "fresh" is nasty, some is just fresh. Salty is just salty.
After fresh, just rinse my gear and let it dry in shade. After nasty or salty, suit is taking a shower with me,dry one, wet gets a spray of liquid soap inside and out and a good rinse. Everything else is going into a bin for a day long soak with tap water trickle to keep it as fresh a possible, except wing. Wing gets a good shell rinse inside and out, bladder is filled with soap water and emptied several times and let inverted to collect and dump any residue water. One warning though, my regs are always pressurized during soak.

After each diving day I individually wash every piece of kit with water (at my tap it's almost distilled water) and soap + a soft paint brush to remove every deposit of dirt and salt. After that step I soak everything in water+vinegar and disinfectant.
To clean my drysuit I wear it and clean it with a sponge while rinsing it with fresh water.

After drying for a few of days everything goes in storage in sealed boxes with silica gel.

Obviously I'm a new diver =D

After each diving day I individually wash every piece of kit with water (at my tap it's almost distilled water) and soap + a soft paint brush to remove every deposit of dirt and salt. After that step I soak everything in water+vinegar and disinfectant.
To clean my drysuit I wear it and clean it with a sponge while rinsing it with fresh water.

After drying for a few of days everything goes in storage in sealed boxes with silica gel.

Obviously I'm a new diver =D

"New Gear" syndrome :)

Why "vinegar"?

If my drysuit gets dirty, I block the neck and wrist seals with appropriately sized plastic bottles. It then gets a bath in the tub (tub is filled with only a bit of water). I use baby shampoo and a rubber scrub brush to attack the dirty parts. It then gets hung to dry. I only dive fresh water at this point.

ok I rinse my gear after every weekend of diving (salt water) . sometimes a one day trip with 3 or 4 dives an sometimes a 2 day trip with more than 4 dives....

my question or comment I rinse with cold water.. would it help to rinse with warm water ?

One thing I do after rinsing my regs and inflator is to hook them back up to a tank and purging them. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.

I rinse with fresh water after every dive. If I dive today and will be diving tomorrow, I just use fresh water to rinse and I rinse it well. If I won't be diving for a while, I like to use a Wetsuit shampoo brand called Slosh, that you can also use to wash all of your gear in ( bcd, regulator, fins, boots, everything). It's kind of soapy so it gets everything clean. And smells great. And leaves my neoprene feeling very soft and like new again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom