Dive Guide Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksegel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, New here, and not sure if this is in the right area for this post, but what are the requirements for becoming a Dive Guide? Rescue Diver? more than that?

Thanks for any additional information.

Ken

To guide a dive you only have to BE a diver, no greater certification than Open Water. To be a divemaster or a dive con or a professional dive leader etc You need to first be a rescue diver, have a minimum of 60 logged dives and complete the DM DC etc etc course... and often have membership and liability insurance..

to become a rescue diver you normally need to have an advanced OW cert or similar, 20 dives minimum and a First aid CPR cert... and of course take the course. Keen on guiding divers and lookin after them?

Tinytechie - Thank you for the rapid response, I do want to be a dive guide, it would be fun, and besides it gets me underwater!! looks like the smart way is to make sure I have enough knowledge to react in any given situation, I am on a Mt. Bike Patrol for our Mt. Bike parks here in Phoenix, so First Aid/CPR is already a given, now to go learn more.

Thanks again!!

Ken

Sweet as man, take the rescue course, get some serious diving experience and then go for dive master (or whatever equivalent is in your area)

If you are talking about being a professional dive guide (as in being paid), I am afraid it is a bit more complicated than presented.

To begin with, to get paid, you need to get someone to pay you. Unless you want to freelance and get next to no business, you will have to be employed by an organization that leads dives. They will want to be sure you have the expertise to lead the dives without incident. They will also want to be sure you are insured. (OK, we see there is an incredibly unusual exception in the San Diego accident story, but that is a really unusual case.) That will mean having at least a Dive Master/ Dive Con type of certification, which is well beyond Rescue Diver. Those ratings are professional, and in order to keep them current, you will need to maintain professional liability insurance.

Leading dives is not all you will do for an organization like this. You will be expected to do a lot of other jobs that will help keep the organization in business. That includes menial labor, like hauling tanks and mopping decks. The more jobs you can do, the more employable you will be. In major resort areas, most dive guides are actually instructors. These people are more employable because they can instruct as well as lead dives.

There are many, many people with these qualifications looking for the available jobs, so competition is fierce.

I would be shocked if any major resort area dive operator employs dive guides with only Rescue Diver certification.

In Hawaii there are very few dive guides that have less than OWSI certification.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom