Dive in Portugal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are currently planning a trip to Portugal and Spain this summer. We'll be staying in Faro at the end of July and would like to hear anything you can tell me about the diving there, or other information about the region.

Thanks.

Hello people,i am a diver living between Faro, the provincial capital of the Algarve.and the Spanish frontier,my home is near the town of Tavira. Between Faro and Tavira is a town called Olhao,there is a dive shop there called Bicho do Mar.There is another in Faro town,sorry i donŽ´t know the name,but they are Padi registered so you should have no trouble finding them. A bit further west is a town called Carvoeiro that has a popular dive centre. Further west still is Lagos,there is a dive centre here ..Further west still ,almost at the most south westerly point of Europe is a small town called Sagres. Sagres (pronounced sargresh) has a dive outfit called Divescape....
I have been out four times with these people and the local sites have loads of good stuff to see,wrecks,caves,fantastic algae, lots of anemone and no shortage of fish,cephalpods and crustaceans. Visibility can be good but the times i have been with them the vis has been down to as little as three meters at twenty mtr deep. The people that run this operation are first class individuals and their staff are also top class .I can confidently recommend divescape,i make a two hundred km round trip to dive with them.

Hi!
Nice topic, this!

I'm going to the Algarve in the second week of september.
I'm probably staying in Monte Gordo, on the eastern side of the Algarve.
(That's relatively close to Tavira, right, Neil?)

Are there any diving clubs there? Or do I need to go further west to Faro?

How is the diving-'climate' in september?
I heard it can have a bad visibility, but that isn't a problem, I'm used to no visibility (I'm from Holland, all water here is no-visibility (2metres) water).

What is my best thing to do if I want to dive?

Thanks!

Sorry by the late response.

About diving in Portugal, There's a lot of beatiful places to dive near Faro. If you like wreck dives, you can dive in Faro A or in the B24 an American bomber from WWII.

I'm working in Lisbon and is often rare to go to this side of Algarve but if you look at this web site
www.subnauta.pt. They are the best in all Algarve.

I'm working in Lisbon, I'm building a small dive enterprise, because of that all my mail are late, sorry.

My enterprise is specialized in transport divers from Lisbon Hotels to the bests spots near. We operate in cooperation with the best dive center of Portugal from Peniche to Porto Covo. In Algarve we are negotiating with Subnauta to offer a liveaboard of 2 or 3 days (the only one in Portugal).

The best place to dive in this time of the year is Sesimbra. In Algarve, September is the time of big seas from south-east. And is common to have a all week of no-diving conditions, is surf time as we say!

Is when the water are warmer, but warm water in Algarve means poor visibility. But if the wind turns North You will find fair visibility (8-12 m) as the temperature drops.

My advice is to wait for the North wind and then try Hidroespaço (as Redshift said) or subnauta in Portimão. If you are really decided to go diving and the weather don't help, call me to www.nitrox32.eu and I can arrange a dive trip to Sesimbra.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

I think Subnauta is a bit too far from me (as I'm staying in the complete eastern side of the Algarve).
Somebody also told me there are dive clubs in Tavira, although I can't find any?

I know, despite never dive with them, a couple of dive centers in east Algarve:

Bicho do Mar in Urb. Maria Teresa Lopes Vieigas, 11-A, Olhão. Phone +351 289 723 808 and Hidroespaço in Horta das Laranjeiras, Centro comercial Horta, Lote 1, Loja 2, Faro. Phone +351 289 862 500

I just eared about the last one as an excellent center, about Bicho do Mar I just know they exist nothing more.

I hope this information is useful to you and I regret that I can't give more information about Dive centers in this area.

Have a nice holiday in my beautiful country, if you need some more advice be free to contact me in this forum or by mail in dive@nitrox32.eu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom