Dive industry, ecology, and economics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've been diving for over 10 years now and during that decade it was hard not to notice how companies could promote conservation while peddling numerous scuba thneeds wrapped in non-biodegradable materials. I won't go into naming brands here, yet, but if you represent a distributor or have any influence in the field, do let manufacturers, brands, and shops know that promoting underwater exploration while generating trash may not be the best long-term proposition. Nothing else to add here - I am just a bit frustrated.

Very good point.
And while they’re at it, please stop packing everything for shipping in popcorn styrofoam, or anything in styrofoam for that matter It can’t be recycled and fills my trash can.

Greenwash. So trendy.

I wonder what the carbon footprint for one fully filled AL80 is (both air and with 32% nitrox).

Flights, liveaboards etc. We are not eco-warriors, just tourists of the very worst kind.
Of the best kind if you please!

Divers are always nice people.

Flights, liveaboards etc. We are not eco-warriors, just tourists of the very worst kind.
That might be true for a lot of us, but not all of us.

• Good quality carbon offsets are available if you take the time to research them. I'm partial to those associated with the UN.
  • You don't HAVE TO own the newest gear; many divers use their gear for decades
  • And "new" gear can be purchased used.
  • Diving supports a non-extractive industry that, by default, favors healthy ecosystems. By scuba diving at a particular destination, the locals understand that their income is directly related to carefully managed fisheries and sensible coastal development,
Sure, many dive destinations have become overfished and poisoned by overdevelopment, but that's not divers' fault. As "better tourists" we can let locals know that we won't come if they ruin their reefs.

What's a carbon offset? Shares in new coal fired power stations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom