Dive Insurance for Discover Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same. It was mentioned about instructors being able to cover OW students one way or another, but does that include DSD students or just those in an OW course?

Interesting the OP's question hasn't come up before. But what would you do, contact DAN or another company and purchase insurance for maybe one half hour OW dive (plus maybe the same time or so in the pool)? Probably very few if any have given that any thought, if in fact it can be done.

Someone suggested checking with one's regular insurance (Blue Cross? Trip insurance?, etc.) to see if a non-certified diver is covered or just a certified one, both, or neither.
Blue Cross travel insurance in eastern Canada only covers dives that you are already certified for.

So DSD is not covered as you are not yet certified.

Either the dive op or instructor should have some kind of insurance for accidents. Don't forget that when you sign up and fill out the papier work you sign risk acknowledgment papers.

Either the dive op or instructor should have some kind of insurance for accidents. Don't forget that when you sign up and fill out the papier work you sign risk acknowledgment papers.
I'm not sure what shop or instructor insurance has to do with covering the student diver. These are for covering the instructor/shop in case they are sued because of a student accident. How does this help the injured or dead student? I guess they can sue the instructor or shop and be successful, but that has nothing to do with insurance. Maybe I'm missing something.

Across the pond, in the U.K. we don’t have to worry about the medical bit. The NHS covers all treatment. But liability for loss of earnings, mental stress, etc are real so a medical questionnaire is required for ‘taster’ sessions.

We had one individual who lied on his form, but an observant instructor noticed something not right and made an excuse that their t-shirt wasn’t on properly. When adjusting it a scar was spotted on their chest - they had been released from open heart surgery 4 weeks earlier. Even though our club would have been protected by the form it would have been upsetting to have someone injured or die during a ‘taster’ session.

Across the pond, in the U.K. we don’t have to worry about the medical bit. The NHS covers all treatment. But liability for loss of earnings, mental stress, etc are real so a medical questionnaire is required for ‘taster’ sessions.

We had one individual who lied on his form, but an observant instructor noticed something not right and made an excuse that their t-shirt wasn’t on properly. When adjusting it a scar was spotted on their chest - they had been released from open heart surgery 4 weeks earlier. Even though our club would have been protected by the form it would have been upsetting to have someone injured or die during a ‘taster’ session.
But are you talking about coverage outside the U.K.? Here the province covers emergency care up to only $2,500 Canadian (that was in 1990 when I used it). Not sure if scuba accidents are included with that. Otherwise you better have private coverage.

But are you talking about coverage outside the U.K.? Here the province covers emergency care up to only $2,500 Canadian (that was in 1990 when I used it). Not sure if scuba accidents are included with that. Otherwise you better have private coverage.
No, only the U.K. Even recompression treatment is funded by the NHS

I'm from Canada so medical is (mostly) covered in country. For out of country -my employer provides a travel policy. It cover SCUBA to your certified depth (or 40m) whichever is less. It also covers scuba certification courses up to the depth you are certifying for.

But it specifically does not cover "Discover Scuba" courses. I forget the exact words but hen I read it it was pretty clear. Take an open water course you are covered, Discovery dive in the ocean not so much.

You own insurance will probably bear no resemblance to mine - read the fine print!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom