Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaK1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Does one normally get dive insurance before, during, or after getting open water certified?

Thanks!

No, it's something you acquire before you need to be put in the chamber. Now, let's see, will that be on the next dive, 20 dives from now, or never? If you can answer that question you will know exactly when to buy insurance. If you can't answer it, then get it before your next dive.

Hi! Does one normally get dive insurance before, during, or after getting open water certified?

Thanks!

It really depends where you live and do most of your diving. If you're in the states, I'd get it as soon as possible. If you're UK based, you don't need insurance unless you're going away on holiday (there are companies that allow you to buy insurance for a certain number of days) because, you know, we have the NHS. Canada, Australia, and anywhere else that has nationalised healthcare I imagine would be the same, but I would check with local chambers

Only speaking for my shop / locality (USA).

When we run an Open Water Class - we sign you up for DAN's student Membership Program which will cover you for no cost during your entry level diving training. You can sign up for this yourself - if your instructor has not already - at the following site: danismybuddy.com

This insurance covers you for six months - or until you have completed the last required dive of your entry level certification.

Over the course of the Open Water class - I would have explained to you the importance of having some sort of Dive insurance - and hopefully convinced you to obtain your own insurance from DAN, DiveAssure - or the company of your choice - after your were certified.

No, it's something you acquire before you need to be put in the chamber. Now, let's see, will that be on the next dive, 20 dives from now, or never? If you can answer that question you will know exactly when to buy insurance. If you can't answer it, then get it before your next dive.

I have never had Dive Insurance - been diving since the late 70's - until this year I never thought about it - going to Florida with my son and thought better of it... Sometimes it is only a matter of time before you see the need for yourself or others. :)
Hope he does not need to use it either... But we are both covered for at least this year...

I agree. I have never wanted to test those odds. I have had DAN insurance since I have been diving.

i just the most amount of coverage that DAN offers guardian pkg i think it's called $165 canadian per year seems pretty cheap to for what they cover but plans around the $35-$40 mark
seems to cheap not to have IMO

I had, at the time, the best insurance DAN had. I took an undeserved hit in Truk, and had to go for a ride in the chamber. Between BC/BS and DAN, my out-of-pocket was zero. Dan also helped re-arrange the remainder of my trip, getting me re-booked to the Phillippines at no cost to me.
Insurance is always expensive until you need it.

On the other hand, when I asked my Dad if I should get life insurance on my wife, he looked me in the eyes and said, "Son, never insure a liability!"

I was under the impression it is something to acquire once you reach Dive Master.
DM insurance is for in case the DM kills someone else (well, kidding-it's for is there is an accident and the DM was prudent in his/her actions). There have been a lot of discussions about DAN and getting insurance for travel. Our Blue Cross coverage for out of Canada travel covers dive accidents. My guess is it's best to get insurance of some kind before you do your first post cert. dive. Of course, it's like any insurance--depends on what kind of coverage you need and what kind of diving you do. Better to be safe than sorry. To be honest, I am not an expert on what sort of incident a dive shop/op, etc. would be responsible for if it occurs during the course. Perhaps it varies from place to place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom