Dive Jackson Blue and Merritts Mill Pond (springs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetHoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to get a small group up to schedule pontoon rental (split between divers) to dive in the Marrianna Florida area springs that feed into Merritts Mill Pond. Trying to firm up a date in early September so that I can reserve a 24 foot pontoon that Cave Ventourers rents. Plan on diving anywhere diveable in the pond (large spring fed, several miles long). Make a whole day of diving. CV shop has nitrox on bank 32% and charge by the cubic ft., so refills are a snap. I have a few interested parties, and the boat I figure can hold about 6-8 divers total, and no more than 10 people total.

Superbugman, you can bring your Zodiac for scouting/diving if you like.

Plan on drinks, food for lunch and etc...

Also, anyone that would like to stay over, I plan on it, there are a lot of Hotels right off I-10 that are not too far from the pond and dive shop.

The shop really caters to Cave and Cavern divers and has some awsome OMS gear and some other misc gear and has doubles to rent as well. They even cart your tanks to and from the boat to the shop!!

Dates open, great day of diving, definately.

Post suggestions and dates and we will see if we cant make this a "thing"!!

Hoss

I'd definately be interested in it Hoss as long as it fits into my time schedule. I would be bringing a set of doubles onboard, so plan that into the equation if I come along.

Matt

I'm interested, as long as the dates cooperate - whenever you guys figure that out. I'll probably camp out nearby to save on costs.

The Mill Pond has alot of sites to look at for cavers, I'm just not entirely sure how much there is OW friendly. Even for cavern certified divers, you may only be limited to a few sites unless you are content with looking around from above the cave openings - I'd be content with that. From what I understand, Jackson Blue has a really nice cavern, with a sandy/rocky bottom that doesn't get kicked up easily. The flow can be really really strong at times though. I've asked about some of the other sites, but for the most part, have been told to stay out of even the cavern areas because they can silt out easily. I think Hole in the Wall may have a bit of cavern to look at, Twin Caves and Shangrila aren't supposed to offer much in the form of a cavern(but good cave dives). I think the Indian Washtub site has nothing to penetrate, so it should be great for OW diving. Gator Hole looks damned creepy, even though I believe it has lots of air pockets. I read somewhere that there are bats in the air portions and the name itself would make me a bit nervous of getting in the water there :D

The Mill Pond isnt' really regarded as a place for OW divers, but I'll admit, I've been wanting to get out there pretty damned bad lately :D

Well, depending on who you talk to and what you read, there can be a good day of diving to be had there. I have heard that there are some deeper spots to dive and that the water is clear in the pond. I snorkled at Jackson Blue and the flow was awsome....An earlybird could have fun on a sunday morning possibly. I think it would make for some great exporation fun diving, and with a way to get around, we could see a lot of nature too. Darcy had said she might go, so talk to her also. Get enough folks and we could rent two boats.

Any input on dates would be great. I was thinking in Sept. the first couple of weeks would be good points to look at. The Kraken may be up to planning Vortex II in Oct..

I am up for diving, and other than Pompano later this month, and around the 15th, I am open to dive down there so drop a line!! BTW, I like cavern but the cave thing aint my cup o'tea!!

Even if I only get a few folks that would be great!! :crafty:

Hoss...........

Hoss ..

Keep me posted I might be able to work it in to my schedule. I'm diving Loclowminn on sunday, rock divers next weekend and should be at Pompano at labor day. The rest of September is pretty open. I do have a trip planned on October for Mermet Springs.

I have a bachelorette party the 10th of September, but I'm game any other weekend.

cewarbin:
Well, depending on who you talk to and what you read, there can be a good day of diving to be had there. I have heard that there are some deeper spots to dive and that the water is clear in the pond. I snorkled at Jackson Blue and the flow was awsome....An earlybird could have fun on a sunday morning possibly. I think it would make for some great exporation fun diving, and with a way to get around, we could see a lot of nature too. Darcy had said she might go, so talk to her also. Get enough folks and we could rent two boats.

Could definately be fun for all, I just figured people should know that we wouldn't be going into many/any of the caverns. I hear the pond is clear too, I'd be happy just diving around under the surface, seeing whatever it is I can see :)

Just not wanting anyone going out there thinking the area is full of caverns similar to Morrison and Cypress that are really friendly to misplaced fin kicks and an easy way out.

I don't have anything planned for Sept yet, so whenever during that month would be fine.

Sounds Like a Plan!! This can be the pre Ocktoberfest, Millpondfest....

Now we just need a good date, looks like 10th and 11th or 17th and 18th or around that time. I like cavern a bit, but dont plan on going further than my good sense dictates. I like that little voice of reason that keeps me from my adventureous side going overboard definately!!

The H

Guys, ten on a boat is Crazy tight!... NO, no its impossible. I would say NO MORE THAN 6 w/ gear. 5 or four would be even better. The boat is only $60 so its not a big deal. Count me in BTW.

Well, they have two boats, one is 24 ft and the other I think was 17 ft. 10 is too many for the 17 footer but may be good for the 24. We may have to find out if we can get both boats...

H

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom