• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive knife and flashlight positioning?

Discussion in 'Sidemount Diving' started by RLima, Sep 14, 2019.

1. tanstaafl99

tanstaafl99 Registered

I don't disagree, I was thinking the same once i saw them. Wouldn't be as pretty but it would be effective. And yes the website is really really awful....

2. Subcooled

Subcooled Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    And the dive knife sheath does not slide?
    I can see a non-problem here :D

If it bothers you, place the knife on your forearm. I'm sure you can find some lycra to keep it firmly in place.

Reaching the knife with both hands can be beneficial if you manage to get entangled in really creative ways, but then again placing the knife out of sight (belt, harness) creates other problems. The unfortunate fact is that awareness is mandatory and no perfect solutions exist. It would be clever though to carry two cutting devices because when you get stressed you will drop the first one in any case...

Your primary light should be carried on a goodman handle. A metal one or a soft one. You choose. If it isn't a canister light with a cord, then make sure to put a snoopy loop around your arm and clip the light to that. Soft goodman handles are not always that grippy...

RLima likes this.
  3. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks Tom, the light cable routing over the shoulder seems brilliant. I have just rerouted mine and it really cleans things up. I hope it works as well in the water as it does in my office.

tbone1004 likes this.
  4. Diver-Drex

Diver-Drex Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Line cutter on my right shoulder and knife in the waist belt. If it’s a dive that requires a light it’s on my left hand. Otherwise it’s on a left shoulder d ring and bungeed in place. Back up light is in my butt pouch.

For the people diving their cutting devices one on each arm, how to you get to them if one arm is trapped?

Andrew Dawson likes this.