Dive knife and flashlight positioning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's too bad their website sucks. It wants to charge me VAT on those things even though they'd be coming to the US. They can only do ex-VAT sales to a company. Which is stupid. Which means I'd pay tax twice. Which is doubly stupid. I may just make some myself.

I don't disagree, I was thinking the same once i saw them. Wouldn't be as pretty but it would be effective. And yes the website is really really awful....

I want to keep mine in the waist band but I'm afraid it will get in the way of the sliding d-rings.

And the dive knife sheath does not slide?
I can see a non-problem here :D

If it bothers you, place the knife on your forearm. I'm sure you can find some lycra to keep it firmly in place.

Reaching the knife with both hands can be beneficial if you manage to get entangled in really creative ways, but then again placing the knife out of sight (belt, harness) creates other problems. The unfortunate fact is that awareness is mandatory and no perfect solutions exist. It would be clever though to carry two cutting devices because when you get stressed you will drop the first one in any case...

And what about the primary flashlight? I'm not exactly happy to carry it in the cargo pouch instead of the shoulder bands.

Your primary light should be carried on a goodman handle. A metal one or a soft one. You choose. If it isn't a canister light with a cord, then make sure to put a snoopy loop around your arm and clip the light to that. Soft goodman handles are not always that grippy...

one benchmade 7 z-knife on my computer straps, the other on a wrist slate. One trilobite on the inflator hose.

Butt mounted canister, runs up along the left side of the harness with the light cable zip tied onto it and comes out over the top of my left shoulder. Backup lights on a helmet
Thanks Tom, the light cable routing over the shoulder seems brilliant. I have just rerouted mine and it really cleans things up. I hope it works as well in the water as it does in my office.

Line cutter on my right shoulder and knife in the waist belt. If it’s a dive that requires a light it’s on my left hand. Otherwise it’s on a left shoulder d ring and bungeed in place. Back up light is in my butt pouch.

For the people diving their cutting devices one on each arm, how to you get to them if one arm is trapped?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom