Dive Knife Properties - 301 vs 304 vs 316 vs 420 vs H1 vs Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about sharpness and corrosion is this. I think if you're the type of guy who puts the work into achieving a truly razor sharp blade, you also know how to take care of a tool in terms of corrosion. Quality stainless steel only needs a little TLC to fight off the salt, so if you're putting all that work into sharpening, you either already are or should be minding the rest of your tool maintenance too.

In my book, things like titanium and H-1 are for people who don't spend a lot of time maintaining their tools. Basically, it's a safety margin against looking at your blade for the first time in seven weeks and finding it covered with rust spots.

In my book, things like titanium and H-1 are for people who don't spend a lot of time maintaining their tools. Basically, it's a safety margin against looking at your blade for the first time in seven weeks and finding it covered with rust spots.

Really? Or perhaps they are for people who like quality products....?

Who wants to spend much time maintaining a tool if it's not needful? I've used 2 stainless steel dive knives, and they can rust pretty bad, pretty fast. Eventually replacing it cancels a lot of the cost savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's a reason just about every commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico is using a spyderco. They are fantastically made. Even when my tool box was filled with 2" of salt water (my knife sitting in the bottom of it) the knife didn't rust. The blade is sharp enough to shave with and spyderco has a no bs warranty. If you break it, they replace it. The only way you'll ever have to buy another spyderco is if you lose it.

I've had titanium knifes. While they are tough as can be and they don't rust, you'll never get one sharp enough long enough to make me happy.

Yes and I found one that some one lost - free knife! I had to scrub off the plastic handle more than I did the H1 blade and no rust. I figured the knife had been in salt water at least 2 weeks. It is a straight blade and i would rather have a safe point and jagged edge for cutting lines. I wish they would do an H1 EMT pair of shears as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom