• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive knife, Sea Snips, or both?

Discussion in 'Knives and Cutting Tools' started by briannapstevens, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Regarding knives... I've tried the lot, including the combination Kife/Shear and the tiny surgical shears - I've disgarded the lot.

I now keep a Z cutter on my computer which (even rusty and needing a blade replacement will cut through 3/8 nylon rope faster than a serrated knife (Removing fishing nets from wrecks. I still keep a small blunt edged knife on my BCD as a secondary and I keep teh non serrated edge razor sharp.

Regarding DSMB @Snoweman I have the last 5m/15ft in a different coloured line in case I'm lazy or task loaded or my computers crap out

@Dan_T Lose that bit of pipe and string. Get a decent spool. I recomend the Apex spool which has compat line, a big centre hole and wide flanges that are easy to grip and wind. On more than one occasion I've deployed mine in current coming off a reef from around 12m and the current has pulled the dsmb along takign almost the all the 45m line out, stopping when the DSMB hits the surface and comes out of the current.

Practice regularly. With respect, with the number of dives you have and the fact you love indonesia divign you should be more proficent. Just practice on every dive, the guide won't mind.

Dan likes this.
  2. Dan

Dan Orca

Good tips! My 12-day Banda & Raja Ampat trip is coming up in November. I'll have some good practices then. I'll need to do more of this DSMB launching before diving the mother of fast current diving in Peleliu site, Palau, in December.

3. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

If you're slighly nervious or not confident, launch while you're hooked in. but get practice on yoru check dive. You can do some at home believe it or not, because the biggest problem people have is figuring out which hand to do what etc. practice on dry land to figure out the mechanics for yourself before hand

4. gcarter

gcarter Orca

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Takes a long time. The orifice is quite small. Compared to losing a LP hose, it is positively glacial.

5. Dan

Dan Orca

You can get Suunto D4i / Cobra3 around $500 nowadays. Those 2 are good enough for me, have served me well & kept me out of trouble for the last 8 years. :)

6. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    At around 3:56 in the video I posted above (Post #94) they show you the orifices for comparison.

gcarter likes this.
  7. TheHuth

TheHuth Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm late to this discussion. Does anyone know why they removed the two way radio on the new Nautilus? I was going to buy one a year ago, and then put my diving on hiatus. I'm now interested in getting one, and see the only way to get one is through ebay for $350+. From what I'm reading, the current iteration is cheaply made.

8. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

The boating community complained about divers being on their radios, so the MMSI folks refused to issue registration numbers if it wasn't associated to a boat. For anyone that has a radio and an MMSI number registered to it, it should still work. It gets a little weird about using it, especially in foreign countries, but I don't think I would hesitate if I came up and my boat group was nowhere to be seen.

The new radio is just an emergency transponder, and does not require a radio MMSI number. I don't know if the quality has gone down in construction.

9. TheHuth

TheHuth Barracuda

If I were to obtain an older model, would I not be able to get this MMSI number? You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I dont know how that works. Is it something that you would apply for after getting a unit, or is it something the manufacturer would have obtained when they were making them.

10. Snoweman

Snoweman Loggerhead Turtle

I don't think you can get a new MMSI number. If you bought it off of someone else, you might be able to get that MMSI # transferred to your name. However, I am not sure about the second one.