Dive knives: Tester's choice or go cheapie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

As a requirement for taking the NASE AWOS course, I am required to get a dive knife. For someone who dives an average of 20 times per year in the Florida Atlantic waters, is there a compelling case for not going the cheap route on this and buying a more expensive knife? Let's assume. money isn't an issue here. Thanks

you have a 3d printer?

Line Cutter (Diving, Survival) by luboshocc

if not, if you're in the ocean you need trauma shears of some variety on top of a knife. For a knife I'd recommend a Trilobite. Mount it to your computer strap. Put the shears in a pocket *put a bolt snap and a leash on them!!!*
Replace the blades and shears as frequently as needed *they're dirt cheap*

My preference: Mini FogCutter Knife

Dive knife, line cutter, shears, and more, all-in-one. I have it mounted to my BCD.

I bought the cheapest knife possible 13 years ago and have still to use it for anything.

.. Let's assume. money isn't an issue here.....
Bigger issue...........I'm lazy and don't scrub my gear with gentle soap every week. It get's a 20 minute fresh water soak & dry and that's it.

Love my Titanium knife blade. I just abuse it and never wash it. 10 years and going strong, sharp, and can't rust. Looks and works like the day I bought it.

Everything you would need and more:

Cutting Tools | Dive Gear Express®

Except a good sheath for the shears.

For that:

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE

@stuartv made this suggestion to someone a year ago and I saw it. I did exactly as he suggested and haven't regretted it for a minute. I have a great BFK that I can't wear because of the marine park regulations, so I bought a cheap folding knife from LeisurePro that I carry in a pocket except when I'm Lion Fish hunting. On my last trip a fellow diver liked my setup so much that he offered to buy it when I left. You can get cheap EMT shears in a bunch of places.

Cheers -

@stuartv made this suggestion to someone a year ago and I saw it. I did exactly as he suggested and haven't regretted it for a minute. I have a great BFK that I can't wear because of the marine park regulations, so I bought a cheap folding knife from LeisurePro that I carry in a pocket except when I'm Lion Fish hunting. On my last trip a fellow diver liked my setup so much that he offered to buy it when I left. You can get cheap EMT shears in a bunch of places.

Cheers -

Wow. I've never been asked to leave my dive knife behind in CZM, but I wouldn't call it a BFK, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom