• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive ladder steps

Discussion in 'Dive Modifications' started by lowlysubaruguy, Nov 28, 2019.

1. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Fortunately, my boat came with handrails. I added non-skid tape to the railings because my dry gloves are slippery.
    Ladder_DSC1273.jpg
    Another option is a ladder like the one on the Giant Stride dive boat. Owner Jim Simmerman recently added a small platform on the bottom of his ladder.
    DSC1208.jpg

DSC1204.jpg

There is another option...
    Ladder.jpg

Akimbo likes this.
  2. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

The ladder on the Giant Stride is almost exactly the ladder I had on Spree and will mount on the new boat next weekend. I have oval tube instead of flat rungs and the bottom step is 12 inches by 18 inches.

3. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Nassau Grouper

Even the remains offer some grip though.

But I agree, there are many better options and I'm liking most of what I'm seeing in the pics in this thread (aside from Rusty McHospitalvisit... and Woody...).
    There's no singular 'perfect' ladder in my mind - I've just run into several that were much worse and would have benefited greatly from a bare minimum of grippiness on at least one rung for the first big step.

Building it properly in the first place is, of course, the better overall option...

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. clownfishsydney

clownfishsydney Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    This is my boat with the ladder. Our preferred way to climb is leave fins on, much easier than taking off and throwing/passing up. Sits at a good angle, not quite what is shown here as the stopper is not quite against the bottom of the walkway. Important you have a good angle as too vertical is very hard to climb. We also have a rope hanging off the end of the ladder and this can be used to pull yourself towards the ladder when there is a current or it is rough (it means you have control over the movement).

When I first made it, there were only three rungs. This was not good as the gap between each one was too far and made it hard for older divers. Removed the two two and welded on another one with the other two repositioned. Perfect now, even in very rough seas like we had last Wednesday.
    makcat-yowie-bay.jpg

5. lowlysubaruguy

lowlysubaruguy Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    my boat actually has a tree ladder like this now the steps fold in and the whole assembly slides back into the boat. I hate it possibly the steps are to far apart another factor is the steps are not deep enough meaning they hurt your feet when climbing up.

6. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499