Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well it depends if jfe actually receives the light. i tried to buy 2 of those lights before at 30 each and just ended up getting nothing. had to file for a refund with ebay.
And so my "great buy" turns out to be the "GREAT LIE" as you rightfully predicted. All the sudden the tracking info disappeared from the postal service records and the seller isn't responding to me either. Guess I'll need to file for a refund as well.

Hi everyone... I was the one who started this post and just wanted to give you an update that I am still diving with the original lights and they are still working great. No problems at all.

As a result of your original post, I bought one as well. It is still going. Thanks.

As a result of the original post I bought the same one over 16 months ago and still going strong as well. Picked up a second just about 12 months as well. Using cheapie batteries but it still works.

Maybe convert one or a mag lite into a canister light at some point but we'll see. After seeing your video in another post and others with helmets has me thinking of helmet mounting them.

As a result of the original post I bought the same one over 16 months ago and still going strong as well. Picked up a second just about 12 months as well. Using cheapie batteries but it still works.

Maybe convert one or a mag lite into a canister light at some point but we'll see. After seeing your video in another post and others with helmets has me thinking of helmet mounting them.
I use two of them in my dive helmet also and sometimes on my dpv.

Look:

I have 4 of these lights and just started having a problem with them... The magnet on the plastic ring that turns the light on and off rusted out and the light stopped working... I played around with it and found the light was fine and just need to find away to turn it on and off... Well in Bonaire..

I went to a hardware store and bought some small magnets and rubber bands. I cut the magnet down so it was about 1/4" square and put it in the groove and the wide rubber band over it.. I was able to turn the light on and off and change brightness just fine... Used it hunting Lionfish for over 3 weeks of 2 dives a day..

My plan is to drill a small hole in the plastic ring and glue a chromed magnet in the ring... But for the $25 bucks each I payed, I've gotten my moneys worth already... With the fix, I'm hoping to get many more dives over the years to come..

Jim...

Reactions: OTF
I have 4 of these lights and just started having a problem with them... The magnet on the plastic ring that turns the light on and off rusted out and the light stopped working... I played around with it and found the light was fine and just need to find away to turn it on and off... Well in Bonaire..

I went to a hardware store and bought some small magnets and rubber bands. I cut the magnet down so it was about 1/4" square and put it in the groove and the wide rubber band over it.. I was able to turn the light on and off and change brightness just fine... Used it hunting Lionfish for over 3 weeks of 2 dives a day..

My plan is to drill a small hole in the plastic ring and glue a chromed magnet in the ring... But for the $25 bucks each I payed, I've gotten my moneys worth already... With the fix, I'm hoping to get many more dives over the years to come..

Jim...

me too.
I dove my lamp for about 80 dives, and may have skipped proper rincing 5 times or so, when doing 4 dives per weekend. I sometimes rinced it for a short time, not letting infuse with the camera tank, but instead giving it a quicky with the wetsuits. The problem is that out of the 6 sides of the magnet, one is fully exposed to water.

It started misbehaving at the end of a 10 day trip. Once inspected, I found out that the magnet was badly rusted, it had inflated and cracked the plastic hole where it is lodged. I have replaced the whole ring with the one from the dead lamp of a collegue. On the replacement ring, I have painted the exposed side of the magnet with nail polish, and then covered it with thick silicone grease. I suppose one could use cyano glue, or car paint repair, etc... instead of nail polish.

Out of the 3 protected ultrafire 26650 batteries I bought 2 years ago, one has died, but that is because I did 4 long dives on it without recharge. I carry a pair of unprotected 18650 that I extracted from a reputable laptop brand battery pack, as backup. With a few loops of inner tube to increase the diameter of the battery and fit it into the lamp housing, these work just fine.

Overall, I find that the DIY maintenance is easy and the lamp sturdy, given the price and (no)brand. YMMV, I have bought such lamps for people who did not inspect and tighten the new lamp, and killed it in just one dive.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sadly I can not longer find this light on ebay. Is there any other website where I can possibly buy it?
Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom