Dive Light Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterling

New
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a dive light for me to get my husband? He has been diving for 17 years but doesn't get to go all that often. He would use the light for dives in Monterey and maybe some night dives. I am not sure about cave diving or what else he would need it for. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

Thanks, Sterling:)

If you're feeling inclined to be really lavish, look into a 10 watt HID canister light. That should blow his socks off.
You mentioned cave diving and night diving, and Monterey waters, so this would be an appropriate type of light. There are several manufacturers of these lights, including Halcyon, OMS, Sartek, and Terkel Sollys.
On the other hand, you mention that he doesn't dive that much, so the cost of this type of light may not be warranted.
Happy shopping :)

A HID canister light will be really nice, but also very expensive. At least $400 I think, up to more than a thousand bucks. I also don't know how one would attach it to a conventional BC, although maybe others have ideas. For real cave diving or wreck diving, a canister light is what's needed, but for someone who only does recreational diving, it could be overkill unless cost is not an issue.

A more reasonable (but still lavish) choice, and a more conventional light would be a UK(Underwater Kinetics) Light Cannon. It is also an HID, so gives out white light and is very bright and battery efficient. It costs about $200 retail.

If you are looking for something more basic, then a UK C8 light costs about $70 and is a good primary light. If he doesn't have any lights, then maybe you can get him a dive light set. There are ones from UK or Princeton Tec, that look like a pretty good combination of primary and backup lights, and a marker light for recreational night diving. It will be cheaper than buying them seperately. Looks like this will be $90~$120.

You can save some money by buying online, but if you aren't completely sure what he needs, then buying at a local dive store will be much better since exchanging something will be a major hassle and also costly if bought online. (shipping, waiting for them to process it, shipping back again, etc.)

I would like to second the UK Light Cannon.
I suppose if you are not sure about your husband’s diving interests then he is not that hardcore in cave or tech or wreck, otherwise you would probably know. So for all around diver Light Cannon offers best bang for the back. It is light to carry on your vacations, great for any ocean night dives, can serve him well on beginner cavern or wreck dives, etc.
From technical point of view it is using the same lamp and electronics as most of 10 watt canister lights. It is not as focused but it gives out as much light as more expensive siblings. It accepts regular alkaline C cell batteries so when recharging is problematic one can use disposables to power the light as opposed to canister lights which have to be charged.
You could purchase this light as cheap as $140 - $160 online and if you buy it from www.leisurepro.com you will get warranty and no hustle returns and exchanges but UK itself stands behind their products. When I flooded my Light Cannon, because of cracked bezel, UK exchanged it with no questions asked.

Hope this helps,
Eugene

Since your husband only dives occasionally, and since he has gone 17 years without a dive light, I won't waste your time with $400 (or even $200) suggestions. Cannister lights and color corrected lights and all that are wonderful, but for joe-weekend couple-times-a-year diver, there are totally overkill.

The two most common types of lights around here are ones that 1) look kinda like a pistol and 2) smaller stick type lights.

PISTOL STYLE:
The pistol type are generally a little larger and generally a little brighter because they generally use bigger batteries. You can get ones that use either 4 C-cells or 8 C-cells. Cost and size goes up with the 8 cell models. They will normally be too large to fit in a pocket.

My buddy and I each have one that uses 4 C-cells and they work very well for each of us. I keep mine on a coiled lanyard that clips together and clips to my BC. That minimizes the amount the light hangs, and secures it to me, but still allows for good mobility when unsnapped.

The C8 or D8 models are much larger and a bit more expensive.

My buddy has the UK (Underwater Kinetics) C4 model, while I have the Princeton Tec version. In my opinion the UK model is much better because it has two bulbs, with a trigger that can light up either bulb. That means you always have a "spare" bulb in place, ready to use. My Princeton Tec has only one bulb, so I keep a spare bulb in my kit, but I need to be on the boat to change bulbs. Both lights have "locks" to prevent accidentally turning the light on.

NOTE: They also make rechargeable versions of these lights, but they are a lot more expensive. For the occasionaly user, it would probably not be worth it. Just remove the batteries whenever you put away your gear.

STICK STYLE:
There are a ton of options out there in "stick style" dive lights. I have a small Princeton Tec 40 (4 AA batteries) as my back up light, and I carry it in my BC pocket on a small lanyard. It has been nice to have that with me to "loan" to others on occasion.

Again you could buy small or large, with various sizes and numbers of batteries. Most come with a small attaching cord that you could put around your wrist. I always attach a lanyard that is long enough to reach anywhere (within reason) but keeps me from losing the light.

It mostly depends upon whether you think your husband wants a small light to go in his pocket or a bigger light that hangs on his BC. (I know the DIR and Cave guys will have all sorts of issues, but this is for a simple recreational diver that only dives occasionally)

MONTEREY:
I highly recommend carrying a dive light when diving in Monterey. Obviously you need a light at night, but I am talking about 100% improvement during daytime dives.

The first time I saw Monterey underwater with a good dive light, it transformed the underwater world. The world that was all just shades of gray below 40 feet suddenly exploded with colors. The Strawberry Anemonies and everything shone with such vibrance that it was absolutely a different world. I saw a huge dull gray sun starfish on a pipe out past the aquarium one day. When my other buddy shone his big dive light at the starfish, it was as if a red light inside the starfish suddenly turned on. The starfish virtually glowed red. I have never been out there underwater without a light since that day.

COMBOS - PACKAGES: Right now there are some really nice packages for sale at some dive shops. Both UK and Princeton Tec have combos that include a main light and one or more backup lights. Diver Dan in San Jose / Santa Clara has two combos for sale, one at 89.99 and the other at 99.99 that each include multiple lights. Many other shops have similar combos or packages. They can also set you up with a coiled lanyard.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Just my dos centavos, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom