Dive light recommendation - daytime, small, warm spectrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,
I’m looking for a daytime light for peering under ledges or when diving around structure. It needs to be small and have a warmer light color. I noticed my (Tovatec Fusion, ~7000k) light doesn’t do much for enhancing color. When everyone else in my group shines their (photo/video) lights everything looks so much better.

Any suggestions?

Mahalo,
Joe

Hello. The technology within dive lights has changed tremendously over the years. I bought a Big Blue "Lobster Kit." last year that had (2) 1100 Lumen lights, with a neoprene "Beanie." with light holders on each side. *Note: These are no longer available.
They just weren't quite enough for me. I then bought a Big Blue TL3500P narrow beam. Wow. What, a nice light. I liked it so much, I bought another. I believe, their 5600K. They're actually not that big, and fit in your hand nicely. I got a good deal on (2) Big Blue VL5800P's 120 degree video lights and mounted them to a skateboard helmet.View media item 209683Between, the helmet, and the handheld they go together quite well. When, I'm away from ambient light......The (3) lights used together make it look like "Daylight." in pitch black water.
Problem is I don't know which one is my primary, and/or backup. LOL.
it's definitely going to be a matter of,
your preference. If, you can rent lights, try that.
Big Blue has a fantastic website.
Light Monkey has a great reputation, as well. (A little more than I'm willing to spend.)
No matter what brand you choose, I would get a narrow beam for the usage you stated.
Cheers.
Edit: Ask the Staff/Mods how you can send your address to me privately. I'll send you a Big Blue 1100 Lumen narrow beam, and a Big Blue 1200 wide beam to you. (No charge.)
I'll never use them.....ever.
Cheers, again.

Aloha,
I’m looking for a daytime light for peering under ledges or when diving around structure. It needs to be small and have a warmer light color. I noticed my (Tovatec Fusion, ~7000k) light doesn’t do much for enhancing color. When everyone else in my group shines their (photo/video) lights everything looks so much better.

Any suggestions?

Mahalo,
Joe

fix it in post processing... Your tovatec doesn't have anywhere near enough lumens to make any meaningful difference to video shot in daylight.

If you look at Big Blue, which I'd recommend not given their not great safety history, then cut all of their lumen values in half if you compare them to a company that doesn't lie about their specs like Light and Motion, UW Light Dude, etc. The specifications they claim are not possible with the current technology and when they've been tested with actual lumen measurement devices, over the course of the burn they average around half of their claimed output. Their custom proprietary battery packs also light to catch on fire, be careful. Any of their lights that use standard batteries are fine though, so single 18650 or alkaline.

@tbone1004 this is not for video, just for light and to enhance color when diving and it’s not super bright. But are you saying more lumens (more light) will help with color in general?

It seems like the photo/video light companies use different, colder light for their narrow beam/diving lights than for their photo/video lights.

@tbone1004 this is not for video, just for light and to enhance color when diving and it’s not super bright. But are you saying more lumens (more light) will help with color in general?

It seems like the photo/video light companies use different, colder light for their narrow beam/diving lights than for their photo/video lights.

warm LED's are more expensive than cool LED's, so they use the cheap ones. Most companies won't post the color of their primary lights because most people don't care, but more lumens certainly does help.
This helps explain some of it
https://uwlightdude.com/high-cri-best-of-both-worlds/

I got the lights from Boston Breakwater and love them. The Big Blue 1100 lumen spot is great. Despite being rated a relatively cool color, the light definitely adds all the missing reds to things that are close enough to look at. 1 battery that easily lasts 2 dives, small, and easy to use.

That said I can see why you’d like the 3500 :) I don’t have a need but can easily see how it could be fun.

I got the lights from Boston Breakwater and love them. The Big Blue 1100 lumen spot is great. Despite being rated a relatively cool color, the light definitely adds all the missing reds to things that are close enough to look at. 1 battery that easily lasts 2 dives, small, and easy to use.

That said I can see why you’d like the 3500 :) I don’t have a need but can easily see how it could be fun.

Hey, Brother. @Aloha Joe I'm glad that your'e happy with them. better off with you than sitting around collecting dust in my storage.
Awesome.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom