Dive Log Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I do not see where you can manually log dives in the Dive Log iOS app?
Does it allow manual entry? I plan on purchasing a computer at some point but right now I will be entering manually.
I have an iPhone so hopefully I can use it.

I have been using Dive Log for quite a few years and can recommend it - easy to use with an iPhone. There is a "+" sign on the dive list screen that allows you manually add a dive. See the link below (same as already posted) for the iPhone screenshots

App Store with info for Dive Log (iphone): ‎Dive Log

Once you invest in a dive computer, you can download dive data from it to your desktop/laptop and then sync it with your iPhone. I sometimes add info to a dive on my iPhone and then sync it with DiveLog DT (the companion program) on my MacBook Pro - that way the dives across all of my devices are the same. If you have an iPad, DiveLog would also show up there since you would have it on your iPhone (no extra charge.)

Customer service is great - I emailed them recently about an issue with the program on my MacBook Pro (it wasn't allowing me to edit) and I had a reply within 2 hours with the fix.

This is a link to another thread on dive logs. I wrote about a few other things I like about DiveLog in post #5, but there is info on others as well. Best online dive log app?

Definitely give Subsurface a try. It costs nothing and works well with many platforms. I have it on my MacBook and on iOS. My kids have use it as well.

It’s easy enough to manually add a dive on iOS. Just tap the “+” and start filling it in. It can also use your phone’s gps to get the location of the dive site.

I’d also recommend getting a computer as soon as possible. You don’t need to spend a ton, but it would be a good first purchase.

MacDive is my preferred one. Supports tons of dive computers.

I use and really like divemate, but apparently they have discontinued ios support (never had an iphone, but might be getting one next). Might have to look into some if I switch. Subsurface seems common.

Subsurface was started by one Linus Torvalds, who has a reputation for creating good software. As we say in "the it profession", the clue is strong with that one.
-- another happy subsurface user

Another vote for Excel. I created my own template years ago and still use it. I tweek it occasionally but it’s still basically the same format I created back in 2006-2007. You will never have to worry about outgrowing it or it becoming unsupported. I have every dive I’ve ever done logged in it.

I have been using Dive Log for quite a few years and can recommend it - easy to use with an iPhone. There is a "+" sign on the dive list screen that allows you manually add a dive. See the link below (same as already posted) for the iPhone screenshots
Thanks - good news. I had not noticed that you could do that so I learned something new about Dive Log!

Despite the name, MacDive is a great dive log for iOS. (Also for the Mac, obviously, but that’s not required - the app is standalone.) It allows fully manual entry, and syncs with most dive computers once you get to that point.

I
Thank you for the suggestions!

I did a search for log books online and could only find ones that required a computer. I do not think I looked hard enough though. I see that a few people suggested the same apps that you did. I am not sure why I could not find either of them when I did my search. I am going to look each of them up and see which suits me best. I will need to enter manually until I purchase a computer.
The Subsurface people do a great job with the open source, multi-platform software. I prefer the interface of Mac-Dive, and as others have mentioned, the iOS version can be used as a standalone without the desktop version. If you have both, they sync over iCloud. Support from Nick @ Mac-Dive is excellent.
I've also seen a lot of interaction on this forum from @morejanus at Dive Log DT/more mobile software. They make iOS software as well.

I have been using Diving Log 6 for a little while, does what I want.
I was using Subsurface which I did like , last year I bought my first Shearwater and had problems linking the two Shearwaters I have [Perdix Ai and Peregrine], the Aqualung computers were no problem [can't sell the bloody things, and can't read them underwater either !] kept the transmitter as a backup for the new Swift I have.
Anyway, Diving log 6 is doing what I want [for now].

Does it allow manual entry? I plan on purchasing a computer at some point but right now I will be entering manually. I know some places rent computers but it’s better to have your own so I’m going to save up for one.
Yes, Dive Log does allow the user to manually enter all information. This is the app that I use. I manually enter the info (onto my iPad) from my dive watch or dive computer for entry time, exit time, dive time, depth and water temp. Other info such as Dive site, location exposure suit worn, waves, clarity etc is also entered manually and it will sync this automatically to my iPhone.

For me, it is a very good option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom