Dive Logs - History ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The American ( and rest of the world) a few questions on the Recreational "Dive Log?"

When did the first RECREATIONAL "Dive Log" appear ...
a) year introduced ?
b) who developed it ?
c) company ?
d) location ?

When did the "Dive Log" first
a) became mandatory ?
b) year it became mandatory ?
b) what certification program (s) ?
c) who developed it ?
~~ person ?
~~ Certifying agency ?

A slow talking, slow walking, a very slow thinking uninformed diver would like your input

Thank you

Samuel Miller, III

Электронный архив ГПНТБ России | Кононов А. Учебник по водолазному делу. - СПб., 1902.
Kononov.
Chief of Sanct Peterburg Diving school.
Russian Empire.
Commercial Divers manual.
1902, Sam! :)
page 170-171. Logbook.
upload_2020-9-1_17-1-3.png

:)

@АлександрД

~~ АлександрД ~~

Dang Hombre
I didn't post the correct question . i have modified it to Recreational dive logs

I certainly appreciate your very prompt response and as always with collaborating data
I just wish there were a few more like you in the diving community and on this SCUBA board .
Maybe we could eliminate I think, I suppose , I was told, and the ultimate source my instructor said ....and as you do some research prior to responding.

FYI I once again you Russians were first-- i have the very first USN manual dated 1905

Stay safe, be well, Keep on posting-- every one of your posts are very informative

Sam Miller III

Dear Samuel! I got your first question...
... there was some smiles :)
it was not exact answer :) It was just curious fact... but fact.
When you asked - I just remind this book :) but.... I`m not shure, that is first declared form of Dive Log.
This book describes Denayrouze, Siebe-Gorman and Schrader apparatus, and I think they should have something like manuals, with some tables for maintenance log and may be usage(diving) log.

First if all, a dive log is NOT mandatory for recreational diving, nor for activity of professional divemaster or instructors.
I think it is some sort of mandatory only for commercial diving.
Said that, I have seen the first form of a dive log in the manual accompanying my first Scubapro regulator, which I did buy in 1976. So I started to write there a log of my dives, instead of using a simple notebook, as I did use previously. You can see it here, starting on page 5:

http://www.angelofarina.it/Public/Underwater-Certifications/Logbook_1975-1985.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-2_12-26-38.png
    upload_2020-9-2_12-26-38.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 123
@АлександрД

[QUOTE="АлександрД, post: 9122643, member: 493230"

Dear Samuel! I got your first question...
... there was some smiles :)
it was not exact answer :) It was just curious fact... but fact.
When you asked - I just remind this book :) but.... I`m not sure, that is first declared form of Dive Log.
This book describes Denayrouze, Siebe-Gorman and Schrader apparatus, and I think they should have something like manuals, with some tables for maintenance log and may be usage(diving) log.[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre (Spanish for MAN)
I always enjoy your posts along with @Angelo Farina for I know I will learn something each and every time you two post .
It is of no concern to me if it is a joke, a jab or as with the majority of posts a well researched and documented with facts and figures..

In my current research project I am only interested in Recreational dive logs
Searching for who, when, why, and how they were developed -- and of course a sample of the log.

In the 1940s I was a young school boy attending an American Military school, My language instructor was C.M. Purin who was from Europe and was the master of 13 different languages. He was acknowledged as world class expert and was on the US committee to develop a universal language which never materialized -- now with all my world traveling
and as evidenced many times that English has become the universal language- I congratulate each of your for your responses in English. Please believe me when I state they are appreciated

Samuel Miller, 111.

@Angelo Farina
Stated:
First if all, a dive log is NOT mandatory for recreational diving, nor for activity of professional divemaster or instructors.
I think it is some sort of mandatory only for commercial diving.
Said that, I have seen the first form of a dive log in the manual accompanying my first Scubapro regulator, which I did buy in 1976. So I started to write there a log of my dives, instead of using a simple notebook, as I did use previously. You can see it here, starting on page 5:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Angelo.
It is always great to receive your response. It is recognized are separated by m any miles and years of diving

FYI
1) In 1967 The LA County UW instructors association (UIA) developed a Dive log which was required for the then very new and the worlds first and the worlds finest the three months lung never equaled Advanced Diver Program ,the LA Co ADP'
AA requirement of the LA Co ADP was to maintain a dive log which had previously been developed by the Senior Aquatics Director Mr. Tom Ebro.

The same year it became a requirement of the famed LA Co Underwater Instructor Association, Underwater Instruction Certification Course, the UICC .
So maintaining a dive log has been a requirement of LA Co since 1967

2) Dick Bonin, the cofounder of SCUBA Pro was a USN Officer in Frances Doug Fanes testing group . I am certain very extensive record we maintained of the testing.

When Dick separated from USN in 1956 he worked briefly in his hone town of Chicago prior to moving to SoCal
He was employed by Healthways for a short time until they went bankrupt and the company was dissolved .

Dick formed a partnership with one of your country men Gustaf De La Valle and acquired the rights to SCUBA Pro
The rest is history ..

I don't question your 1976 SCUBA Pro dive log, I suspect with dicks background he produced one
The questions are
a) was it a component of your regulator purchase ?
b) did you pay EXTRA for the dive log ?
c) can you provide a picture of the front cover of the log?
d) how many pages ?
f) how many line for dives ?

<<< FYI I have contacted SCUBA Pro HQ on the dive log -- so far I appeasers I should have contacted Disney land >>>

Warmest regard from CenCal

Sam Miller,111

Maybe we could eliminate I think, I suppose , I was told,
There are a lot of misconceptions about diving. If people are suppressed from expressing them, they will never be corrected and they will continue. The best part of ScubaBoard is that if you're wrong about something, you can be corrected, and hopefully not castigated in the process. One of the bad things about ScubaBoard is that if you make a mistake, you can be verbally slapped so hard that you leave, never to return to keep learning. It's up to those who know better to reply in kindness and with patience in order to keep things friendly enough that those who are still learning will come back to learn even more.

Angelo.
It is always great to receive your response. It is recognized are separated by m any miles and years of diving

The questions are
a) was it a component of your regulator purchase ?
b) did you pay EXTRA for the dive log ?
c) can you provide a picture of the front cover of the log?
d) how many pages ?
f) how many line for dives ?
Thanks Sam, also for me your posts are always full of information. It appear that prior of 1980 there was very little communication between US and Italy. We did not know what was happening there, and I suppose that also US divers were not aware of the pioneering activity born here (and in France) just after WW2.
This thing of the dive log was definitely an American thing, no one here was keeping a dive log...
I got the technical manual for my MKV reg (MK5+109) inside the reg. box, emanating that famous vanilla flavour. It was included with the reg. I had not to pay for it.
The cover was labelled "Manuale Tecnico per Erogatori Scubapro", and here you can see it:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

These photos come form this Ebay auction:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/Technical-Manual-For-Scubapro-Regulators/224080319884
My one was the same manual, but in Italian. For seeing the last pages, containing the spaces for the dive log, I provided the link to it in my previous message.
I repeat it here below.
You can see it here, starting on page 5:

http://www.angelofarina.it/Public/Underwater-Certifications/Logbook_1975-1985.pdf

The manual did contain 7 pages like this one:
Logbook-1975-1985.png

As you see, my dives #25 and #26 were inside Grotta Azzurra, at Capo Palinuro:
http://www.sportcilento.com/act/immersione-alla-grotta-azzurra-di-palinuro/

Back
Top Bottom