Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 459604 Lol....I use the same aqualung wrap around style, but mine is a US divers. There is a picture on the Andrea Doria thread of a diver using one...in 1973. I usually get comments of.."I had one like that...in 1980". Still the most comfortable mask I have found for my Cro-magnon type head.

Just saw that it is a US Divers. Low volume...not so much

Jay
Did you have to get a longer hose to go with that regulator setup? It looks like it would be more comfortable and reduce drag.

How is it for pinching nose to clear ears. Been certified diving since 79. Never could master the Vasala method. Other than shape, seems much like old mask. Thank you.
Years ago I got that mask as a present. While it fit well, equalizing was very tricky as I could not pinch the nose one handed.

Did you have to get a longer hose to go with that regulator setup? It looks like it would be more comfortable and reduce drag.
I'm using a 39 or 40 inch hose from an Octo I had laying around. The 90 degree bend allows the regulator to swivel (horizontal), but not the hose side of the adapter(vertical). To be perfect, I need a swivel adapter on the 1 st stage as there is a slight torque to the hose.

I can't really comment on drag, but this setup is more comfortable to me. Another option would be a shorter hose over the shoulder and a 70 degree adapter, I just don't like the hoses flaring out over my shoulder. I generally have my arms crossed Diving and I just grab the hose with my left hand and relieve the torque. It's very slight so it's not that big of a deal...but I'm a little OCD about my setup. (A lot)

This set up works great for me....until I change it up again.

Jay

@Steelyeyes and @Jayfarmlaw you guys might be interested in the "Streamlined Open Water" type of reg setup. You can see it here: Streamlined OW | Dive Gear Express®

Dive Rite calls it their "advanced open water" setup. Short hose bungeed around your neck and long hose routed under your arm. Nothing flapping around in the current. Primary donate. It's a good way to go.

One of my favorite masks is the Scubapro wide view mask you see in my avitar, but you cannot get it now. I really liked the black one, but I've now gone through four of these, as they literally melted off my face. The one in my avitar currently is a combination from a black mask without the purge to the silicone one with a purge (I used the neoprene mask's lens on the silicone mask).

What some people don't realize is that theclear or white silicone was developed for Underwater photographers to put on their model, so that their faces showed well in the photos. They then caught on, and everyone's began using them. The problem is that in limited visibility water, there is an internal reflection that can really inhibit seeing things in the water in front or below you. But, silicone does age very well, and masks 20+ years old will still be reliable.

So far as the high volume, this is a definite advantage in very cold water.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom