Dive Master Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you love being with people and teaching then ok but if not probably not a good idea.
if you think you can do the same basic dives over and over and still keep motivated then you might have a chance but if you want to do many and varied dives that will extend you and hold a sense of adventure then keep it for yourself

Why are you interested in becoming a divemaster? Is it as a training opportunity? Are you looking to work in the industry? Is this a path to something further or are you just looking at stopping at divemaster?

All good advice. Or, if you're like I was--looking to work in the industry, get paid to assist courses, and stop at Divemaster.
But, think I was in a fairly unique situation.
But, yeah, it's all about teaching, dealing with people and grunt work. You'll get a lot of advice about the DM course not doing much to improve your own diving--which is true, except for polishing up all the dive skills (to "demonstration quality") and rescue skills somewhat. If you're interested in the education side of diving go for it--it was great for me as a former teacher. If not, a chunk of money for the course when you can just do a lot of reading online for theory/physiology knowledge and not pay anything.
A lot more than the minimum logged dive requirement is the usual recommendation. Many will say lots of diving in varied locales & their conditions is best. Can't really argue, but I lean toward tons of experience diving where you intend to divemaster.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I made the decision not to become a DM because I didn't want to teach. I know there are some people out there that got it to increase their education, but I've found my money better spent on special courses and dive travel.

On the other hand: If you do want to teach (& don't mind the grunt work & students sometimes putting your life in danger), I've have friends who said it was the best thing they ever did...but that finding a good course & not the cheapest course was helpful.

Hi there, Ive moved your thread to the Going Pro forum, it's the correct one for this as well as offering a lot more opportunity for you to get useful advice.

Have a look through the rest of this sub forum if you like, lots of info applicable to your situation:
Going Pro

Best of luck!

well, first i'd say you need to dive a lot and advance your training with some specialties.

now, why do you want to be a divemaster?
1) if you just want a card that says divemaster, find the fastest, cheapest class you can

HOWEVER

2) if you want to really be and work as a divemaster then you need to think this thru. Our DM program is hard. it takes between 3 and 6 months and we'll work your ass off. Your skills will be honed to be demonstration quality. You will learn about dive physics and physiology to a level you never even thought about. You will work alongside our instructors and be an extra DM on our boats. And there is no guarantee you'll pass the class.
Our criteria to pass our DM class is simple. Will we trust you in the water with our family and friends?

OP said they were new to SB. They did not say anything about how new they are to scuba diving. Knowing that seems important in answering.

It all depends on your long term goals. There are many reasons people chose to be a dive master but mine was one I was pushed to the very limits to achieve. I nearly drowned myself pushing so hard to get the required scores and to do so I had to learn to swim better then I already did.

In the end I feel that it made me a far better person then I ever was before and it helped me grow my knowledge. You learn things that are not taught normally like changing gear underwater all while breathing off of one reg between you and your buddy. It really opened my eyes to alot of things and I am glad I chose my path.

That being said I dont know that I really recovered a whole lot in return for what it cost financially so it would be a harder choice for me these days.

Back
Top Bottom