Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it applies to the victim, it would appear that all of the "guide lines" put forth by certifying agencies were meet. The scuba industry is a "self regulating" industry and I believe the point Mike may be trying to make is that there are no laws governing the rental of equipment so from a criminal point there is no liability.
How ever if non-certified diver is given access to equipment there may be a civil liability.

fabasard:
There MAY have been other articles stating he was an instructor, but I stand by my earlier rant, if he wasn't an instructor, she should not have been under HIS supervision.

As to whether she was under his supervision at the time of this incident, I don't know. I do know that the husband is, as was mentioned in several articles, a certified instructor. From anything I know, he is a thorough and cautious instructor. Ranting and suggesting he should be a defendant is hurtful, particularly since you are aware (or should be if you have read this thread) that her family is reading this thread. They do not need any additional and unnecessary hurt during this tragic time.

fabasard:
I do understand what a recreational dive certification is, and every dive master or instructor I have spoken with (around 10 or so, from different agencies and areas) have stated that if you don't have a C card (at LEAST OW) you may not rent tanks. That being said, they may have meant from THEIR store, but that was always what I was told.
These are agency and dive shop rules. If you go to my gas supplier, you can buy whatever kind of gas you want. They will even mix custom blends without a care concerning what you are going to use it for.

The difference? The agency affiliation. Diving can be and is done apart from the control of the certification agencies. That control, only extends to it's own members.
Now, as to the shop owner, I would expect that if your going to run a DIVE shop you should know how to dive, otherwise how could you dispense usable knowledge to those inquiring at your store?

You just hire someone to do that. Lots of people own businesses that they wouldn't be able to run on their own.
I have never been in a dive shop where the owner and his employees were not at least OW certified.

If you're like most of us, there is lots of things that you've never seen or done.
For those NOT certified, I say the agency that they are trying to ally with does not grant them status with the agency until THEY are certified.

A dive shop does not need to align themselves with any agency. What status exactly does a dive shop need an agency to grant them?
I have even gone to Mexico (and they have pretty lax standards from time to time) and was not permitted to dive without the DM being over my shoulder (resort course) for the duration of the dive. It's a liability issue, if you don't want to keep going to court, you don't rent to those who don't know what their doing, its fool-hardy.

Do you have case presidence to offer? I don't know if this has been tested in court or not.
Say you own said store, and I walk into your store. I want to rent a tank, compressed of course for me and the wife, we want to try this diving thing. You rent me the tanks and off we go. My wife dies during the dive because neither of us is certified and has no clue as to what we are doing, rest assured I am going to sue your company. How could you possibly defend yourself in court? You wouldn't be in business long.

Now, sorry about barking, you just rubbed my fur the wrong way.

Why would I have to defend myself? I just sold you air. Why do I need to even care what you do with it. I'm not your momma. Did the air kill her? If there's something wrong with the air I sold you then by all means let me know, otherwise, why should it have anytthing to do with me? You and her decided to go diving. Why bring me into it? In fact, I might have a case against you if you fail to return or otherwise damage the tank in the process of getting your wife killed. Your assumption that I wouldn't be in business long is demonstrably false since the companies that so many of us buy helium, oxygen and various pre mixes from simply trade gas for money without regard for any dive industry considerations at all. They are still in business.

A civil suit is going to be based on the duty of care that exists. If I lead you to believe that I am somehow looking out for you then I might be held responsible for doing so. If I just sell air and only promis to deliver good air, you might have trouble holding me responsible for anything else.

Say a compressor company sells you a compressor and you fill her tank. Are you going to sue the compressor company?

What if the hardware store sells you a chain saw without checking for a chain saw certification and you cut your leg off?

I think you've been brainwashed with dive industry nonsense. BTW, you have now talked to an instructor who sings a different tune. I have owned a dive shop and taught through two different agencies and I'm completely convinced that this "certification = access" nonsense has causes far more problems than it solves for every one accept the agencies who, of course, want to sell certifications. The first problem is folks like yourself who somehow feel that the agency is doing something to insure your safet. Many, if not most, of the certification agencies are just businesses like any other. Giving them any regulatory power at all is a mistake. They have no authority over anyone who isn't a member of the agency and that's how it should be.

Again, this might be a good time to step in and remind everyone to keep cool heads.

This thread has been rife with speculation since the beginning, moreso than many threads of this nature. There has been far too many opinions thrown around as fact.

Let's remember, there is agood chance people directly connected to this tragic incident are reading what we write, perhaps even people related to the principals.

Finally, I would point out that laws about diving vary from state to state, so it is unwise to make blanket statements about the sport.

Jeff

jtoorish:
Finally, I would point out that laws about diving vary from state to state, so it is unwise to make blanket statements about the sport.

Jeff

Please do me an educational service: Site one law and how it applies to the sale, rental and air fills in the scuba industry and how it applies to this tragic event. :huh:

Clipped from the Keynoter news paper: XXXX was under the dive instruction of her husband M******, a scuba instructor, according to D**** D*****, owner of Horizon Divers

So it would seem she has fully meet the requirements of most certifying agencies.

Mafiaman:
Please do me an educational service: Site one law and how it applies to the sale, rental and air fills in the scuba industry and how it applies to this tragic event. :huh:

Clipped from the Keynoter news paper: XXXX was under the dive instruction of her husband M******, a scuba instructor, according to D**** D*****, owner of Horizon Divers

So it would seem she has fully meet the requirements of most certifying agencies.

I agree that she fully met the requirements of certifying agencies. I said that a while back.

I think you missed the point of the rest of my last post; specifically, different states have different laws related to Scuba so it is difficult to make blanket statements about the sport.

:)

Jeff

In the US, there are local jurisdictions and government run parks that require certification to dive certain locations.

I am unaware of any such laws that are state-wide. I am unaware of any laws anyplace in the US, governing sales of scuba related equipment and services.

In that context, I think we can make some blanket statements in relative safety.

jtoorish:
I think you missed the point of the rest of my last post; specifically, different states have different laws related to Scuba so it is difficult to make blanket statements about the sport.

:)

Jeff

Examples?

MikeFerrara:
In the US, there are local jurisdictions and government run parks that require certification to dive certain locations.

I am unaware of any such laws that are state-wide. I am unaware of any laws anyplace in the US, governing sales of scuba related equipment and services.

In that context, I think we can make some blanket statements in relative safety.
That is the way I understand it also, T/Y Mike.
Jeff's post seemed confident and I felt it would be fair to ask him to share how he knows there are laws.

Jeff: my apologies the second part of my post was directed to fabasard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom