Dive operator recommend key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlito35

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will spend Christmas in keys looking for dive shop recommends for wreck diving. We are very experienced and need wreck guide more than babysitter. That will let us dive our computers. Any suggestions. Also need nice accomidations for wife and non diving 7 year old.

You might want to search around mile marker 100. There are a number of dive operators that operate there and several hotels. There is a Holiday Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, & the Marina Del Mar
. They have good facilities and a pool, etc. for the wife and 7 yr. old. Also right on site is Rainbow Reef Dive Center that offers trips to the wrecks, as well as Ocean Divers and Horizon Divers just to name a few. To get a lot of info at one place check out the info on www.rainbowreef.us/. We go down to Key Largo several times a year and would be happy to share any info if you would like to pm us.

Horizon divers let's you dive to your certification level: I'm solo certified and they let me dive the S. Grove with no hassle. It's been a year since I've been out with Silent World, but the last time I was, they were also accommodating and allowed me to dive the Spiegle Grove solo. In both cases, you'll need to hire a guide, not many operators provide free guides in the Keys.

I also like and mostly dive with Conch Republic when I'm in thbe upper Keys. They have a a big Newton 46 boat which will be nice if the December marine conditions are poor, which can be the case. They're not quite as accommodating on the whole solo diver thing but are very oriented to experienced divers: including tech divers and folks on rebreathers. Again, you'd need to hire a guide if you want one. I really like the people at this shop.

There are a lot of other good shops too, but I tired to focus my comments on the ones that go to the wrecks frequently and are good for experienced divers that need no or very little assistance.

Last edited:
Try Quiescence Divers, They only have a maximum of 6 divers per boat. QUOTE=carlito35;7245679]We will spend Christmas in keys looking for dive shop recommends for wreck diving. We are very experienced and need wreck guide more than babysitter. That will let us dive our computers. Any suggestions. Also need nice accomidations for wife and non diving 7 year old.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest giving Jeremy a call at Key West Inn and Suites Key Largo....literally walking distance to 10 different dive ops at MM100...and abuts Horizon Divers..whom I STRONGLY recommend. Best boat in the area for diving imo.

Other options I can suggest..in no particular order...Ocean Divers....Rainbow Reef...Quiescence.... I have dove with them all.

Bubs

thanks for all the suggestions trip advisor has each of your suggestions very close to five stars; I just need to make sure they are not going to throttle us...like some dive operators do. I fully expect to hire a guide if anyone wants to recommend anyone.

Keep in mind...ALL these dive ops run am and pm trip schedules..you WILL...be time limited due to boat scheduling... plan on 60 minutes and back on the boat.

Only way around that I know of..is either:
A: Hire the boat for yourself
B: Go out with a "friend" who has a boat and isn't running a schedule.

I'd suggest pm'ing Mscelaneous or Netdoc...they live and work with these ops...and can give you a straight steer.

Bubs

The Spiegel Grove and Duane are pretty deep; you might be well-served to ask a prospective dive shop about tanks larger than 80 cf and whether you can get nitrox in them. Even if you go out on a boat with other people, if you aren't using the main group guide (if there is one, like with Rainbow Reef Dive Center), perhaps you can ask the captain about going in first, coming out last. Consider gloves to protect your hands on the mooring line (I had thought those were barnacles, but others have posted about 'razor clams' - whatever they were, you might want gloves).

Richard.

I'd suggest giving Jeremy a call at Key West Inn and Suites Key Largo....literally walking distance to 10 different dive ops at MM100
Bubs

Nice property, kind of town house design, first floor has living area with kitchen and screen porch overlooking the canal and bedroom is upstairs, but no amenities for the wife & child, no pool, etc. Also, can be a noise problem on the balcony as loud music comes over the canal from Sharkey's restaurant. Have enjoyed our stay there a number of times and while it is an older facility, not 4 star, and needs some renovations it's clean and well managed.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom